Topic

bivy sack and camp shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear bivy sack and camp shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Locale: Northeast GA

I was rummaging through my gear closet today and got to thinking about the WPB material used in my Dry Ducks rain suit (also used in O2 and a thcker version in frogg toggs). Has anybody considered this material for use in a bivy sack? Does anybody know where to get this fabric? I don't know the weight of this fabric, but I do know there aren't many WPB jackets lighter that Dry ducks. Let me know what you guys think about it's application in a bivy.

Also I'm trying to come up with a lighter alternative to my crocs as camp shoes. I made a pair of chaco knock offs using a blue foamy for soles and some nylon webbing for my CT hike last year but I found that after a couple days my bony heels had pounded the foam as thin as a crepe and every thorn and peble stuck straight into my foot. Any ideas for a SUL sandal sole? I know a lot of you guys will ask if camp shoes are really necessary, the answer for me is yes. I have extreemly blister prone feet and even tho I hike in running shoes I find that the more time I spend with them off the less severe the blisters.

p.s. This is my first forum post!

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Hi Brett.

Unfortunately, there is no source to buy propore by yard. What you can do is buy a driduck poncho and cut/use the fabric to make a bivy. Even though driduck is fragile you cant beat it for a waterproof bivy top.

http://yhst-11770478610819.stores.yahoo.net/driducksponcho.html

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

How about flip-flops with cleft socks?

Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Thanks Guys,
    I didn't know there was a driducks poncho, I'll check it out. Maybe I'll try the split sock idea too, or make another version of my UL chacos using flip flops.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

I have a dry ducks poncho that I very easily modified for use as a sleeping bag cover. I wouldn't quite call it a bivy since it has no bottom. The seams on the ends are big enough to use as they are for a cord channel. I inserted lightweight cords with cordlocks in each end and then just ran a couple quick hem lines around the opening ends for additional strength. Now it can be cinched on one (or both) ends just like a flat JRB type quilt to form a foot box. I had considered installing maybe 4 total snaps for 2 removable bottom straps (like a Nunatak quilt) but since I mostly hammock now, I haven't. It also makes a great weathershield for my hammock underquilt. If I remember correctly it weighs 9 oz with the mods, but I'll have to double check. It makes a great piece of multi use gear and only $12.00 with free shipping at this site…….

http://www.thegearlessmachine.com/driducksponcho.html

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

> I was rummaging through my gear closet today and got to thinking about the WPB material used in my Dry Ducks rain suit (also used in O2 and a thcker version in frogg toggs). Has anybody considered this material for use in a bivy sack?

Brett,

Jack R Better used to sell a sleeping bag cover made from the Dry Ducks material. I don't see it on their website anymore. It wasn't quite a bivy as it didn't have a bottom but it did have closed footbox and drawstring closure at the top. You might ask them where they sourced the material.

Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

For the camp shoes, my Lightweight Backpacking teacher (in my lightweight backpacking class at school) taught me to take old insoles, poke holes in the sides, and strap shock cord across the top. They are light and practically free.

Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Thanks to all for your input.

Randall, that poncho mod sounds like a great idea. I was planning on sewing a sil/DWR/noseeum bivy using the meteor pattern or a modified version of the Oware drawcord when I started thinking about this propore stuff. Dual use as a poncho and bag cover just makes too much sense not to try and I can take along my bug pyramid when necessary, for 12.99 I think I'll order one right now.

One question, do you ever get any condensation on the bag using this setup?

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Brett,

The dri duck poncho is a really new piece of gear for me and I have only had the opportunity to use it with my hammock underquilt. Sorry, I don't have any experience yet with the possible condensation issue.

Eric Fitz

@pounce

I wear Sanuk's a few times a week around town. These are basically flip flops with a canvas upper. You might take a look to get some ideas. I have a couple pairs of 'Donny" style that I got at EMS.

http://www.sanuk.com

I put mine on the scale out of curiosity and they were 10.5oz for the pair.

I think a person could make something like this but much lighter.

Or, glue a sock to an insole….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools