Topic

Where can I get those black plastic thingies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Where can I get those black plastic thingies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I'm sorry, the name escapes me at the moment–but where can I get those black plastic thingies you use to close drawcords–the ultralight version of course–and the cord to go with it? (I hope I'm not embarassing myself here).

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

BPL sells the AirCore PRO Dyneema Guyline Cord Kit…look under SHOP, SHELTER, or go to this link. Very nice…and on sale right now! (I sound like I work here or something – not)!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_pro_dyneema_spectra_guyline_cord_50_ft.html

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

try thru-hiker.com or quest outfitters. one or both of them should have what you're looking for i think.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

BTW…. black plastic thingers = cord locks :-) So you know what to ask for it you're looking locally.

aaron mount

@amount

Locale: Sierra Foothills
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Thanks, so they're called "cord locks." Does BPL carry them? Also need some light cordage for making my own stuff sack drawstrings.

PS–If you have advice on making my own rock sack for bear bagging, please advise.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Oh, and I'm also in need of some UL cord for general camp applications–stringing wet clothing in camp, making lanyards, etc., (not bear bagging–I have the AirCore Pro for that). I need something that ties knots well. Would you guys recommend the spectra cord sold here, is there a cheaper (and readily available) alternative?

thanks
    David

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Kelty- Tripeze= strong, lightweight and it reflects at night.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I purchased mine at http://thru-hiker.com. Be aware that spectra line is quite slick and may not provide enough friction to keep the cord locks from slipping. This depends upon your application. Ayce at thruhiker can help with questions.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Richard Matthews

@food

JAMES CALL
    BPL Member

@conductor

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I got mine at Quest outfitters. No minimum order, super friendly service, and great shipping. Tool around thier web site, and watch your list grow!

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Richard,
    Thanks for the heads up on the cord locks. I also snaged 13 oz. of 800+ Fill Power White Canadian Goose Down for $2.67 less an oz than thru-hiker(A great place to buy things).
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Richard,

Thanks for the link. Z Packs looks like a great site for DIY stuff. The spectra cord there looks way lighter than Triptease, too.

Do you know where I can get a UL mesh bag for a rock sack for bear bagging?

Dave T

@davet

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Avocado bag at the local grocery store. Make guacamole, then use bag for rock. light and cheap, and if you lose it in the woods, well, make more guacamole when you get home.

Richard Matthews

@food

I think I use the bag for the GoLite Poncho/Tarp

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools