Topic

Durango to Silverton

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Durango to Silverton

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I'm looking for advice on how to get from Durango to Silverton August 2. I arrive around 1pm and would like to backpack the Hardrock 100 mile course then back to Durango on the Colorado trail but Saturday the 9th.

If there is any bus service, public transportation or if someone wants to make some $$ shuttling I'd appreciate your input. If any speedy hiker wants to partner with me I'd love the company. However I'm thinking of 30-35 miles per day.

The narrow gauge train/bus service doesn't seem to have a schedule that works (I want to get started Saturday the 2nd not Sunday.)

Thanks!

PM me or email ksawchuk at gmail.com

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Problem is it leaves at 11:15am daily. You would have a overnight layover.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Thanks. The bus leaves at 6:45am according to the Greyhound schedule so if I had to overnight I'd at least get an early start Sunday. It costs only $17 which is pretty sweet–comparing with $300 for a car.

joe w

@sandalot

nm

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

This seems like a great deal. They said airport pickup and Silverton drop off for $60-80. Not cheap but I'm happy to pay it.

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

I'm curious to know your itineray Kevin.
    Counter-clockwise?

If you don't want to know about camp sites, stop reading.
    Some super nice spots that are really high but campable:
    – Maggie-Pole Pass (yes water) or Green Mountain Valley
    – Top of Handies (no water, but you can load up close by or melt snow)
    – Upper Bear Creek Basin (north side of Engineer)
    – Upper Marshall Basin or Upper Governor Basin
    – Upper Bridal Veil Basin
    – Island Lake

Enjoy.

Klas

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

I plan to do the trip counter-clockwise so that when I get back to the Colorado Trail I'll just keep on heading into Durango.

I love high camps and if the night was right (no clouds/impending storms) camping on top of a fourteener would be cool (though perhaps not as conducive to recovery and a hard next day). My camps are determined by (in order of importance) view/beauty, comfort, availability of "stuff" like water/wood. I'll make some notes on my map and see if some of these would work out. Thanks.

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

During my race in '06, arrived at the top of Handies just in time to watch the sunrise, and here was a group of spectators who had bivy'd on the summit:

Handies

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Looks like a cool camp–I'll carry water or have dinner lower.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Well Hermosa Tours backed out leaving me in the lurch for Saturday. I can do Greyhound or if anyone happens to be heading from Durango to Silverton on Saturday afternoon I'll happily pay for gas.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

What was the problem with the Narrow Gauge rail? The first time I was in the area (maybe 6 years ago?), I recalled trains leaving Durango at around 8am every morning; and it was the most spectacular train ride I've ever been on!

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Trip is now done and was spectcular–especially the lightening storms.

Narrow gague didn't have convenient times. Thanks.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hermosa Tours is run by a friend of mine but it looks like you already found them. Have a fun trip!

EDIT: Whoops they backed out? Crap. Maybe email my buddy directly at XXXX and see if he can do it?

EDIT AGAIN: Evidently reading comprehension is not my best skill…

carl geers

@cgeers

Buck Horn Limousine is run by a friend of mine and he offers, despite the name, really inexpensive shuttles to and from any destination in the southwest. He knows his stuff and spends thirty plus days backpacking in the Weminuche and the San Juans every Summer.

Call this number 970-769-0933 and tell them Carl sent you. He can transport up to 7 people with gear at a time in a super clean new suburban. Why ride in a bus?

Visit his web site at http://www.buckhornlimousine.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools