Topic

Ray Jardine closes shop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ray Jardine closes shop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Larry Tullis
    BPL Member

@larrytullis

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

Just like historical mountain men were often quite rough around the edges, Ray should not be dissed for his pioneering spirit. The mountain men opened up the way for the rest of those that followed and Ray is doing the same. He’s not really the first, heck, aboriginals have known how to travel light and fast for thousands of years but he is a leader in the modern movement toward modern ultralight packing. He’s the one doing the deeds and trying what others may not try and bringing what he has learned to the public.

I got into ultralight backpacking in the 70’s (before it was cool), but like many, got away from it as tons of new, high-tec (and often heavy) gear tempted me into submission. The heavy packs disuaded me on more than one occasion and kept me from the backcountry often until I read Rays book and it got me back onto the proper mindset. For that I’m thankful to Ray. I’m an avid fly fisherman and just like thinking up new fly patterns keeps my mind active and young, thinking up ways to keep me lightweight on expeditions keeps my mind active and constantly progressing towards new enlightenments (pun intended).

Wether you agree with him or not, you have to respect someone who has stirred the pot and added new ingredients as well as he has.

P. Todd Foster

@ptoddfaol-com

Years ago I read his first, PCT hiking book, and visited his web site. He was a fresh voice with a unique new approach, as I recall it. He inspired me and many others to get onto the now familiar ultralight path.

I ordered his then new book, Beyond Backpacking directly. Disappointingly, it was a re labled, slightly edited version of the book I already had. No doubt further modified in later editions I don’t have. I never ordered any of his other publications. I can’t see a book on tarp camping. It’s just not that complicated, and well, he described it in detail in the two books I own.

If he is indeed in some kind of personal decline, that is very sad, and I wish him a happy farewell into whatever retirement and leisure he can find and enjoy. His ideas were terrific, but in all fairness, they’re highly dated at this point. His PCT hiking system is fundamentally unchanged, through several books, through the Golite period, and through the kits for his rather clunky, bulky current iteration of them.

He is evidently highly concerned about plagerism and “theft” of his concepts and designs, which is as it may be from his point of view. I think it is a misplaced, if not irrelevant concern since these ideas have been common knowledge for many years. Others have long since generated ideas and products which are leaps in concept, materials and evolution, far beyond the homemade quilt and tarp ideas which worked so well for the Jardines on the triple crown trails.

Jardine is certainly no philosopher, but he, as all of us, must arrive at a condensation of philosophy, some set of guiding ideas, for our own lives. He is vague (on his site at least) about his actual guiding ideas. He advises going down a personal path and avoiding undue influence by commercialization and mass culture. Not much to criticize here.

I think his most admirable accomplishments are he and his wife’s triple crown through hikes, and their most amazing kayak trips in Northern climes. Quite something, deeply inspiring and far beyond all but a few of the rest of our ambitions. That is enough for me. It’s an awesome record.

Best, Todd in CC.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

I am also very thankful for Ray and “Beyond Backpacking”. It taught me to think differently and helped start the lightweight gear revolution. As for Ray being “nuts” I think that comes with the territory. People who challenge the normal way of doing things do so because they think differently than the rest of us. Some of this “wierdness” is good..some of it could be called crazy and that really depends on who you are talking to. People at work think I am nuts for hiking solo..they just do not understand what that does for me. People on other forums sometimes “suggest” that the members on this website are part of a cult. (OMG please nobody tell my mother). It makes me very sad when the “harpies” have the last word on something. Ray is not perfect. He had a passion for something and wrote about it in a book. I thought my trail days were over due to injury but after reading that book (with a little help from this web site) I am back on the trail again. That gift is priceless..Thanks Ray.

Bernard Shaw

@be_here_nowearthlink-net

Locale: Upstate New York

Over time, when enough people see the same thing even those who have never been influenced by others, the one constant is the person himself. Ray is unfortunately a bright creative and visionary person. However, he very likely has marked personal problems. These problems have unfortunately interferred with his interpersonal relationships and his work relationships. May he seek professional help and be well.

Anonymous

Nice to see such a plethora of “experts” — who have most likely never met, spoken, or had business dealings with Ray Jardine — espouse such hyper-critical all-knowing “insights” into what’s “wrong” with him. Sounds like most of you are in far more need of “professional help” that Mr. Jardine is — at least he’s living the outdoor life, while all you people seem to do is sit around on the computer and carp about others’ success. You’re should all be ashamed of yourselves. Shut up and hike!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I’m so ashamed of myself,thank goodness I have Mr.Anonymous to tell me when to hike,what to think,and when to take my medication for my various professionally helped problems.
    I used to be aggresive but now I’m just passive-aggresive,maybe there is a 12 step program for gear wookies and thinkbots…maybe Mr.Anonymous could help me get dressed this morning,I’m so confused….it would appear I’m not the only one sitting in front of my computer,eeh Mr.Anonymous?Let’s make Mr.Anonymous a moderator and rename the site backpackingright.com.Heh,let’s get rid of that piece of paper in D.C. that guarantees that right to speculate and gossip.

Anonymous

For those that might give a hoot….looks like Ray has changed his mind about closing the business.
    http://www.rayjardine.com/index.shtml

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

The plot thickens…
    -Mark

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Why it it that I think of Ray as the Terrell Owens of hiking?

I recognize the talent… BUT.

Stephan Guyenet

@guyenet

Hahaha! This thread is hilarious! I’ve never read so much idle specualtion in my entire life. BPL should organize a hike-off between the pro-Ray people and the anti-Ray people.

Remind me never to open a business and then close it.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

…and then re-open it 2 weeks later.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools