Topic

Trinity Alps June 20-22

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trinity Alps June 20-22

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Leaving friday night sleeping at the trail head and going to grizzly lake saturday at day break. Its going to be a relaxed weekend. Planning on getting some fishing in. The China Spring Trail is 6.7 miles up hill to get there(great training hike). The lake sits at around 7100 feet. If there is a path in the snow leading up to thompsons peak I might hike that extra 2000 elevation to the top of the Alps sunday morning.

Anyone know how accessible this trail is right now? I am going to call the rangers on monday

I will post up some more info if anyone is interested.

Thanks
    Jeff

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Jeff –

If you have not been before, you won't be disappointed. I was there in late July in 2006. The upper part of the cirque Grizzly sits in was still entirely snow covered with no less than 11 waterfalls feeding into the lake. In addition, a good portion of the lake had a huge chunk of snow covered ice in it. Small brooke trout are especially active on the south side (left as you enter the cirque). Even with the heavy snow, the Mt. Thompson peak was do-able. It is also possible to access Papoose lake to the south east via the ridge under Mt Thompson. It is a similar type of lake to Grizzly, just not quite as large or beautiful.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Well from the intel im doing I believe to much snow is still up there. Gonna switch gears and stick to a lower elevation track.

I believe the plan will be to try and get to alpine lake(a little over 8 miles). This requires fording the creek and if its impassable then we will continue up to morris meadow(a little over 8 miles). I will probably wake up to an almost alpine start on sunday morning and head the remaining 5 miles to emerald lake. This depends on if my friends make it along. If no one else joins me then my solo mileage will take me probably all the way to emerald the first day.

I am up to suggestions if anyone is interested in getting away for the weekend. Nothing is set in stone and going out in the early season on what I read is a popular trail will probably give a little more solitude.

Jeff

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Scott

I want to do the trip to Grizzly extremely bad. If I end up being solo on the trip I might just burn up the trail with some snowshoes. Did you do the shorter or longer trail in? wondering how you think snowshoeing would be? I can go on friday if im solo so that adds an entire day of exploring….I love having options

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Jeff,

I would say go for grizzly lake regardless of snow. There is one "hill" you have to crest after leaving the China Springs trailhead, then you drop down to the bottom of the creek valley and follow it gently back up to where it ends at Grizzly meadows. There are no creeks to worry about fording (except a couple in the meadow where the water is very slow). The trail is not technical with the exception of the last .5 mile or so, where you scale a serious pitch to actually get up to the lake. If you are unable to get up with a pack on because of snow, you should be able to do without a pack, and even a day trip to the lake is worth it.

The last camp spot in the meadow (as you head to the lake) is one of my favorite of all time! You have a clump of spruce for shade, a crystal clear creek behind you, a truck size granite boulder to your side and a perfect view of the 70 foot falls that pour from Grizzly Lake directly in front of you! You gotta go…

Dave T

@davet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools