Topic

Building a better pot…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Building a better pot…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

Locale: Colorado now!!!

I got to talking with a guy on the trail this weekend. I was near Mount Rogers in Virginia. And we were discussing what we would want in the perfect pot. Here's the list we came up with:

1. Spout with a strainer in it ( for food/coffee grinds draining)
    2. Has a wok-style curved bottom (easier cook and clean)
    3. Has an over the top handle that it can be hung on and that packs inside the pot (for fire cooking)
    4. Maybe a built in handle or a pot holder
    5. I can't think of the other things…

So maybe a wok with a strainer/spout and a hanging handle. What do you think? Have you seen anything like this? Or something that would be a good lightweight start? I haven't seen an anodized aluminum wok that weighs under pound. I only need enough size to boil water for two people.

Got any ideas as to what I should use for this project?

-Passionphish

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

To start off, I would suggest you get a mixing bowl, usually they are made in stainless steel but you may find aluminum or copper. Modify that and when you are happy with it, get hold of the Snow Peak Trek Titanium Bowl, (1.90z ,holds 20oz) and finish you project with this one (if you are also after a very light solution)
    For a strainer, just drill a few tiny holes on the lid.
    No handles, use a pot holder.
    Franco
    I posted this on another forum but thought that could inspire someone here too..

Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

Locale: Colorado now!!!

That is a fantastic starting point! Thanks!!!!!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i took a weekender a few weeks back and tried something new. I used a 12oz caribou coffee cold drink can to boil water. It is built much like a pepsi can except it has a screw top lid.

I poked a few holes in the lid, 2 to vent and 2 for my skewer stake to slide though. MAKE SURE YOUR HOLES ARE LARGER THAN THUMB TACK SIZE. I first had 1 tiny hole and when the water pressurized it made a squirt gun type stream of boiling water fly out, praise God none of us got hit. After that i used a tent stake (skewer) to make bigger holes.

I just used a stick to pick it up by the tent stake and put it in the fire, it would steam i would pull it out. Very easy and i will bring an extra cap next time so i can carry water in it. Pot/water bottle under 2oz, not bad (i think its right near 1oz or 1.5, my scale sux)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools