Topic

UL Wind/rain pants – which would you choose?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL Wind/rain pants – which would you choose?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I just picked up the Marmot PreCip jacket and pants. I plan on wearing them as my outer layer during the winter. They're not as light as some of the brands mentioned, but they should be more durable and block the wind and rain. I got the XXL to ensure they'll fit over my regular clothing during the summer, so keep that in mind on the weights.

Marmot PreCip Rain Pants 9.5
    Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket 14.9

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I have hiked with the DriDucks and Rainshield fabric rainwear for over 30 days in the high sierra. My recommendations — do not use the pants — way too fragile (I use the ULA Rain Wrap — most of the time it's not used, and you can use them instead for bathing decently or as a sitting towel, and it only weighs 3 oz); for tears in the jacket, take some spare housewrap tape (that is colored red) — that tape works so well on the fabric, that you can wash and tumble dry the jackets and the tape will stay 100% still stuck to the fabric.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm in total agreement with Dylan here. I use the Montbell pants and Golite reed pants.

As far as windpants go, the Montbells are on the less breathable/more water resistant end of the spectrum. They are great with drizzle and short showers but aren't really rainpants. When used with a poncho-tarp or when the weather is warm, they're fine.

I use the Reed pants as my go-to for extended downpours and wet conditions. They are very light but not very breathable.

Either way, I typically find that breathability is much more important on the upper body than the legs. I do not like the Montbell windshirt or the old Golite jackets made with the Reed material because they aren't breatale enough. But on the lets, I find both of these to be very functional and lightweight products.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Just so you know, it is very dry in Colaorado in July. My suggestion:

Don't take ANY rain pants.

I do two week trips in the northern rockies (wyoming) and I don't take any rain pants. I take a pair of synthetic hiking pants.

That said – I take a 2.7 ounce home-made rain skirt made from Dri-Ducks pants, and i totally LOVE it! Below is a photo of me hiking in the snow (See, I told you it doesn't rain much) skirt

I agree with other posters, Dri-DUCKS pants self-destruct too easily. I have had good luck with the jackets.

I have an instructional thing in the make your own gear forum department.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I use the Montane Featherlite pants, they weigh 114g without stuffsac and pack to nothing. I use a Golite poncho on top and this keeps me pretty dry. If they get wet, they dry very quickly. I've been thinking of adding some MLD eVent snow gaiters- 43g, to insulate and keep my lower legs/ feet dry.
    Another solution is the Vaude Casella III event Pants, which weigh in at 227g. I don't have these as they are pricy, but maybe good for you.

cheers,
    fred

Robert Matson

@rmatson

Locale: Brooklyn, NY USA

Follow up. For the NZ trip, we left the DriDucks behind out of concerns about durability. Took Frog Togg's next better line of rain gear (a 3-ply) which was breathable, excellent waterproofing and windproofing, but… Bulky in pack, bulky under hip belt (it gave me saddle sores), and ultimately not good enough for the severe New Zealand Fiordland rain.

After three days heavy use, I decided to keep the pants for wind protection only*, and left the coat behind in storage, replacing it with a new, very good gortex rain coat (unexpected big expense, argh). *For the next several weeks, till the end of the trip, instead of using the rain pants in the frequent, cold, heavy rain, I wore Ice Breaker merino wool long underwear — every day — under my shorts, in the height of Kiwi-style. I used the pants as wind protection/warmth when stopping or in camp.

Summation: Frogg Toggs/Dri Ducks, fantastic gear if it's unlikely you'll need it very much. And I continue to love the Dri Duck rain jacket as a bike commuting rain coat since it doesn't get any direct hard wear in that use. But too fragile for me to feel safe with it in severe conditions.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools