Topic

Yosemite: Glacier Pt to Red Peak Pass to Lake Merced

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Yosemite: Glacier Pt to Red Peak Pass to Lake Merced

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Charles Houser

@cdhouser

Tony

Thank you for posting the stunning pictures of Yosemite. Years ago, a small group of us with the "Youth Science Institute" hiked the Tuolomne Meadows, Vogelsang Pass route to Yosemite Valley. We especially liked the part of the Merced River around the Bunnell Cascade. Some hikers were sliding down part of the Cascade into the pool below.
    Hope to get back their again with my children so they can see it in person. Thanks again for the post.

Charles

Jim Lynch

@giniajim

Thanks for hike log, great post. I'll be doing this hike this summer July/August, turning north from Lake Merced to finish at Tuoloumne Meadows (that's the plan!). I'm a bit concerned about snow on Red Peak Pass, but doesn't look like you ran into any.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jim,

Glad you enjoyed the photo essay, should be an amazing trip this year with all of the record snowfall this year.

Due to the snowfall being something like 165% of normal, you might want to call up to the rangers before your trip to see if snow is still lingering at the 10,000 to 11,000 ft elevation range to be safe.

Plastic UPS bags for your feet might be a lightweight and cheap vapor barrier option in case you run into snow.

Enjoy the trip, be safe, soak in the amazing views, and expect the possibility of a few stream crossing with lots of water this year.

-Tony

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I realize this is an old post bumped to the top but I just want to say how much I enjoy your photo/trip reports Tony.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Bradford,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know how much you enjoyed my trip reports.

It means a lot to me knowing that you and others like to follow me around on my trips with Jeremy.

I don't consider myself an expert at lightweight backpacking or a photographer, so it is a bit humbling that you and others take such an interest in these trip reports.

That said, the feedback is much appreciated and motivates me to put in all the time that I do into creating these trip reports.

Sorry that I have not had anything to post so far this year….been saving up vacation time for an August JMT trip with Jeremy & Cameron this year.

I am almost scared to think how many photos I will have to sort though after that trip to create that photo essay! LOL.

Anyway, thank again…it does mean a lot to me that these photo essays, even years after the trips were taken, have some value and live on.

Sincerely,

Tony

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

Tony, when is your JMT hike this year? I enter HI 8/24.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Kris,

We are hoping to start August 1st, but we only have a permit for two of the three of us.

The plan is to complete the trip in 14 days or averaging about 15 miles per day.

We are planning arriving a few days early to see if we can secure a permit for all three of us.

Otherwise, either Jeremy or I will go solo to start before or after the other two to meet up on the trail.

I have never done a solo trip before, so I wouldn't mind being the solo guy to catch up with the others.

Good luck to you….snow pack was 165% or more above normal this year so there should be plenty of water on the trail. Maybe bugs to deal with?

Either way, Looking forward to the trip and the photo essay to follow.

-Tony

James Castleberry

@winterland76

I did a three-day out and back over Memorial Day wknd to Lower Ottoway Lake and about halfway up to Red Peak Pass before I gassed out. I started at Happy Isles, which made for a long climb. The blowdowns were numerous and made the hike quite strenuous. I have deep bruises on left arm, left knee and right calf. But a great hike and, other than the few miles close to the valley, I didn't see anyone for three days. I somehow lost the trail when descending from my campsite above Lower Ottaway Lake. I scrambled everywhere but it was gone to my sight. I followed Ottaway Creek to where it merges with Illilouette Creek, scrambling among the granite slabs.
    I am determined to go back and finish the climb up to Red Peak pass and on to Lake Merced.
    I can't stress how much of a workout the blowdowns made the hike.
    Lots of this.
    Illilouette Blowdown 1
    And this
    Illilouette Blowdown 2

And this.
    Illilouette Blowdown 3
    And even some of this.Illilouette Blowdown 4

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools