Topic

Those ubiquitous boston round bottles . . .

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Those ubiquitous boston round bottles . . .

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

I'm talking about those bottles like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/605499
    . . . and other sizes that have the same flip-top closure system.

I've seen these all over various gear shops, even cottage manufacturers that sell them with alky-stoves, etc. They're everywhere.

Now, maybe I've missed something, but these don't seem to be waterproof or leak-resistant by any stretch. I have several sizes and I've been disappointed by their leakiness every time I've tried to use them for anything at all.

Are they not supposed to be leak-proof or something? Is there an easy way for me to make them that way? Maybe glue a rubber o-ring above the threads or something? I just don't know. Someone help me out, thanks.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use the 1 oz version from REI for my alcohol hand sanitizer and Dr. Bronners soap. They've worked fine for several years, no leaks.

Richard Allen

@roninpb

I agree w/u Ian. Over the years i've had more of those kind of bottles leak than anything else i've tried. Methinks horrible QA!

IMO, they're not worth the trouble it takes to seal them.

LMK what it is exactly that you need. I am quite sure that I can come up with a worthwhile suggestion.

Peace,

Richard.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I have sold many of these bottles, and have discovered that to seal properly the lid has to be screwed on tight (TIGHT). The fist time I used one I was also disappointed, but found that after making the closure good and snug I no longer had a leaking problem. I much prefer a PET bottle, even though the other is easier to squeeze. If you look on the site for Sunburst Bottle you find PET bottles with the flip top cap.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I add generic o-rings, found at most hardware stores.
    It provides a water/alcohol/oil tight seal without effort.
    It is held in place by the threads. No glue needed.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I usually put the cap on tight and squeeze to see if air leaks out, only about 1 in ten pass this test. If it's fairly slow then it will probably be fine with anything thicker than water. For alcohol, it may leak a bit still, i try to carry it upright. The O-ring trick i will have to try.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

My husband posted this project:
    http://www.traildivas.com/diy/make-your-bottles-leak-resistant.html

Works like a charm.

Richard Allen

@roninpb

Hi George.

Unfortunately i've also found that when these bottles are tightened the lids crack in due time. Sometimes at once.

I hope i'm not stepping on any toes. I know that folks trying to make a living need to sell these bottles (at least what they have inventoried) but I have to call them as I see them.

Peace,

Richard.

Richard Allen

@roninpb

Yes, good ole Teflon tape. I'd forgotten your post in that re.

Still not worth it IMHO.

Peace,

Richard.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

I buy these locally at a TAP plastics store here in Portland (Cheaper than REI). They come with a standard black cap without the flip up spout and they sell the flip up spout cap seperate. When hiking/traveling I put the black cap on and carry the spout cap in my diddy bag and swap them out when I get to camp. No problems with leaking with the black caps. TAP has a web site if you google it.

Richard Allen

@roninpb

Good info speyguy, thx.

I do have a black capped bottle lying around somewhere. IIRC, the blk cap has a pliable translucent insert which effects a nice airtight seal.

Peace,

Richard.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No problems with mine at all. I've used these bottles for alcohol fuel. When traveling, I've also filled them with toothpaste, hair gel, etc. and again without any problems — even when flying.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Tohru reminded me that I did do the squeeze test before I bought mine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools