Topic

transport from Reno or Truckee to Sierra City?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips transport from Reno or Truckee to Sierra City?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Hi all,

I’m flying into Reno in early July to start a six-week southbound PCT section hike. I’ve been researching ways to get from either Reno or Truckee to Sierra City and haven’t had much luck. I’d like to start in Sierra City, but if transport proves too difficult I’ll just start at Donner Pass. Do any Sierra locals or PCT alums know of a shuttle/bus system that runs from either of these towns (Reno or Truckee) to Sierra City? I'm open to suggestion, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt from Minnesota

Dave T

@davet

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

There is no public transportation available to the PCT from north of Truckee until you get to Burney (the town, not the state park).

Do yourself a big favor and start from Donner Pass. Then if you ever decide to go the other direction, you can get to (or from) Donner Pass again fairly easily.

FWIW, 6 weeks = about 600 miles. 600 miles north from Donner Pass will take you to I-5 just south of Ashland (Callahan's); 600 miles south to highway 58 by Mojave/Tehachapi (easy access from Bakersfield).

Personally, I'd fly or take the train into Bakersfield, bus to Mojave, and go north to Donner Pass. The trail angels there can help you get into Reno to go home. Section F gets really hot in August and September. Best to get it out of the way early. Your hike; your choice.

Wandering Bob

Dave T

@davet

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

First, thank you all for your insightful replies – they are much appreciated.

Basically, this section hike started as a JMT hike that grew: when my girlfriend and I realized we could get six weeks off we knew we had to run with it.

We are flying in/out of Reno (plane ticket purchased a long time ago, so transport before and after the hike are a consideration), and we don't really have a specific mileage goal: we are going to enjoy the trip and take things as they come. Someday a full through hike will be in the works, but for now we aren't worried about crossing off a certain section.

My estimation is that for the two of us, 15 miles a day with a few zero days/town stops built in would be about right. Currently, I'm considering whether it may just be more fun to add a few side trips rather than push straight through until we hit the desert. My concern is that the section south of Kenedy Meadows (the southern one) may be extremely hot and dry in early August…is this probable? If so, it may make sense to time the trip to finish in Kennedy Meadows and take a bus back to Reno from Ridgecrest.

Thoughts?

Matt

Dave T

@davet

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

When is your flight back from Reno?

There is no public transportation out of Kenedy Meadows – you'll have to hitch into Ridgecrest. There is a taxi service in Ridgecrest who will run to KM, but his quoted fare last year was $80. With gas between $4 and $5 per gallon in CA, who knows what he'd charge this summer.

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Dave – Ideas would be nice – I've taken a brief look at the High Route, but don't yet know enough about it to talk intelligently. I'll dig up some info soon, but for the meantime, what are your thoughts? My initial impression is that we'd like to spend at least a little time off the PCT and on the high route if it is feasible. What I'm envisioning is arming myself with some extra maps and information and having the freedom to make minor reroutes while on trail and see as many interesting places as possible..or stop walking and read a book for half a day if that is what we are in the mood for. We are typically up for a little adventure, and ideas of some "easy" peaks or more isolated alternative routes/places would add some welcome spice to our trip.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Matt

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Bob – thanks for the insight regarding Kennedy Meadows – that is exactly the sort of thing I wouldn't find out on my own. I fly into Reno July 2nd, and back out on August 13th (i think). I was assuming a hitch down to Ridgecrest from KM wouldn't be too bad, but i am guessing that getting down from Whitney portal would be easier.

Matt

Dave T

@davet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Matt,
    Here are 3 ideas for very short little side trips that will get you into some very nice country: 1) Darwin Canyon is about a 1-2 mile hike off the PCT just as it comes up out of McClure Meadows, about a mile north of Evolution Lake. Do a rising traverse northeast up to Darwin Bench and the Canyon is laid out before you. There is a string of lakes with lots of camping opportunities and BIG trout. A delightful place. 2) Wright Lakes Basin is a spetacular high wild valley about a 3 mile hike east from the PCT along a boot track that follows Wright Creek. It is 4-5 miles south of Forrester Pass. 3) Wallace Lake Basin is another high wild basin about a 4 mile hike east up Wallace Creek off the PCT along a faint boot track. It is 3-4 miles south of Wright Lakes Basin. All 3 places are easy to get to if you know what to look for, but not that often visited, and really nice places to hang out for a day or 2, and all have good fishing. Hope you have a great time.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Going down the Mt Whitney Trail from Trailcrest to Whitney Portal requires a Whitney Zone entry permit.

What kind of permit do you have for your hike? Sierra City to Crabtree Meadows is less than the 500 mile minimum required for a PCTA Through-hiker Permit. Are you hoping to score a walk-in JMT permit at Tuolumne Meadows? I sure hope you've done your homework because the rangers in Yosemite will check you, especially if you stay in the backpackers' campground at Tuolomne Meadows. I'm told the rangers stationed atop Whitney and at TrailCrest will also check – especially at Trailcrest since that's the border of the Mt Whitney Zone.

Dave T

@davet

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Thanks guys – good insight surrounding the permits. Fortunately, what you are describing (the 500+ mile PCT permit with the whitney stamp) is exactly what we've got. Also, given our time frame we should be able to fit in exactly what was mentioned: at least 500 miles of the PCT with some side trips/goofing off…I do have every intention of making good on the 500+ miles required to apply for the PCT permit.

Its funny: for a minute I started to feel stressed over getting the start/end logistics of this trip taken care of, but then suddenly realized that having to decide just which portion of the PCT to walk hardly qualifies as a "problem"! All of this planning is getting me excited…

Matt

p.s. Also, our BearVaults are ready to go!

JAMES CALL
    BPL Member

@conductor

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Matt,
    When are you coming into Reno? If it's on a Weekend, I could give you a ride to either trailhead. If it's on a Friday, who knows, I might feel a cold coming-on (cough,cough):) If you're interested, please let me know your logistics, and I'll see if I can help you out.
    Jim

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Jim,

Thanks for the response. We (two of us) are flying into Reno sometime around noon on July 2nd (a wednesday, I believe). So, I'm guessing this makes things tougher on your end, but let me know if your cold might coincide with an extended 4th of July break! :)

take care,

Matt

JAMES CALL
    BPL Member

@conductor

In the Draconian Corporation I work for, if we call-in sick before a vacation, we don't get paid for said vacation. What time is your flight into Reno on 07/02?
    I could run you up that night. You'll have plenty of light, and traveling south from Sierra City is up long wooded canyon with lots of sites and very close to water. Should we be knocking-out the details via PM? Either way, I'm about to go home and won't be able to respond until Monday.

JAMES CALL
    BPL Member

@conductor

Oops, I just noticed the "around noon" comment.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools