Topic

back pack weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mark crane

@ukridgewalker

Locale: chorley

hi all, new to the site
    im from the uk and planning going backpacking/camping around the lake district in cumbria. just worried about weight. when i go to the lakes for a days hike i take my osprey kestrel 38 pack with an olympus e400 camera, bit of food and water and thats quite heavy. whats it going to be like when i get a tent strapped on it as well.. any ideas

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Marc, I lived in Wales for two years-playing rugby now I Backpack alot!!!!! You are looking at baseweight for a new hiker between 15 and 18 pounds-I am not sure how many Stones that is? Don't include water and food weight[consumeables] Look at you biggest items first to save weight=Backpack, shelter, sleeping bag & pad. Where do you live? Cheers

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Recommendation…

The BPL Bible

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Locale: Southeast

The "BPL Bible" is an excellent source of information to the lightweight, and those looking to become lightweight backpacker. The text is very in depth and may be a bit intimadating for new comers (But that's just my opinion, I grew up reading MAD magazine). Which is why I also recommend:

"Lighten Up! A complete handbook for light and ultralight backpacking"

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lighten_up_book.html

This book is short, humorous and provides an excellent base knowlege for going light. This is the first book I picked up when I first thought about going light.

Get both books, and get yourself a digital kitchen scale for weighing items in your pack. It's an eye opener. If you have an item that maxes out the 5 lb (2.2 kg) scale weight limit, you probally want to leave it at home or find something lighter.

Welcome to the site, Mark. I've found it to be a gold mine of knowlege and advise from a community of people who share a common love.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Also recomended reading: First Backpacking Bible!: Beyond Backpacking-Guide to Lightweight Hiking. By Ray Jardine-
    Mr. Jardine started the whole UL movement. But BPL is definetly more detailed & current." All-RIGHT BOY"-UK saying.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

jw: lived in Wales for two years-playing rugby

How did that happen?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey George, I was on the US National for quite some time. I was on tour w/ the team and managed to get a contract w/a club in Cardiff. 96-98 I did a lot of day hiking in Western Wales- beautiful contry-like Ireland.I got back in early 99 and have been obsessed w/ backpacking ever since. Thats my story!

mark crane

@ukridgewalker

Locale: chorley

hi jay,
    i live in chorley, lancashire
    it`s just between bolton and preston
    only an hour north of wales

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Nice- Backpacking is great!!- goodluck with your gear selection.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools