Topic

Camp Punte Crampons

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Camp Punte Crampons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I will try MikeR's advice with the cord for my ice axe, now onto my next dilemma.

I got a pair of the Camp Punte crampons pretty cheap and they only fit my size 13 Montrails way back on the heel. The front spikes barely come to the midpoint.

The first pic are the crampons fitted per the instructions. The barely fit on these Hurricanes, they would never go on any of my boots. The fixed strap goes over the heel and the front strap wraps around, joins the fixed strap and then to the front again.

Punte fitted per instructs

This second pic shows what I might try. If I cut off the heel strap I can slide the crampons under part of the ball of my foot. I would have much better forward motion traction than if the crampons were back on my heel.

Camp Punte mod

I think a great lightweight crampon design would be just the forward half of a crampon instead of the rear like these seem to be.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

That's a good idea. Does the new configuration create a potential for the crampon to fall off? It looks or your foot slide out of the back?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I just bought these as well (at a not so good price). I too wanted to mount them on the forefoot. Here's what I came up with:
    Punte light top

I also wanted to keep the back strap in case I wanted to mount on the heel for descents so for the forefoot mount I just tucked it under the shoe.
    Punte light bottom

I haven't used this in the field but it feels tight. YMMV.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

I should have posted this view first. The rear bar of the crampon is now more narrow than either the front or the rear of the sole of the shoe. It will not slide forward or back only decreased pressure the straps will cause it to loosen and I guess that is the difficulty with crampons and any "soft" shoe. This seems to be the what the crampon was designed for but I know it isn't.

Punte Crampon bottom view

The fit feels secure, at least as secure as the method the instructs state to use.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Nia,
    Nice simple idea of tucking it underneath. I suppose it will not snag on anything more than the exposed bolts will.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools