Topic

Sawyer inline purifier filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Sawyer inline purifier filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Richard Mueller
    Spectator

@richca

Locale: Western USA

Does anybody have any experience with the Sawyer inline purifier filter and especially the flow rate. There is a field test on this filter on the internet at http://sectionhiker.com/2008/04/30/sawyer-inline-water-filter/
    and the result was that the flow rate of this filter was terrible. Another question I have on this filter is that I don't think it has any carbon in it to take out bad tastes or color of water? I do like the filter in that it removes bacteria, virusus, and protozoa. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've used it.

Good:

Effective against all 3 types of baddies — viruses, bacteria and protozoa.
    Fairly compact
    Easy to suck (as an inline filter)
    Gravity feed option

Bad:

No carbon element — so foul tasting water will still come out tasting the same (may not be an issue if you hike in places with decent water sources)

Ugly:

Needs to be primed (flushed with faucet water using a faucet adapter) prior to use. Not just the first time, but anytime the purifier element has dried out (i.e. whenever stored in-between trips). If you don't flush prior to use, then it's extremely difficult to get water through. This is what happened to the reviewer you linked — he flushed his purifier when he first got it, but didn't flush it again prior to his trip. Carrying a damp purifier means more weight and more mess — but you will have to with this purifier.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools