Topic

Patterns for Summer Quilt for Short Guy (5’6″)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Patterns for Summer Quilt for Short Guy (5’6″)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Barber
    Spectator

@barber5

Locale: Southeast US

Anyone have a patter for a summer quilt for a short person? I am 5'6" and don't need to have a quilt for a 6' guy. Anyone done this and willing to help me out. Thinking of Climashield XP to insulate and silnylon or momentum shell.

Michael Barber
    Spectator

@barber5

Locale: Southeast US

Help me with a Short Summer quilt.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

As another short guy (5'6''), I would also be interested in a pattern. I have been planning on making a climashield quilt but have put it off due to heavy year-end schoolwork. However, the pattern would probably have to be modified anyway b/c everybody needs and/or wants different bag girth.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

Why do you need a special pattern?

Peter you have the right idea. Just that any quilt pattern and shorten the top and any other part necessary to fit you. This isn't rocket science.

Do it with some very cheap material first and when you get it the way you like it – take it apart and use it for your pattern.

David Erekson

@finallyme

Locale: Utah desert

I'm with Bill here. You don't need a pattern. Let me apologize to the OP first for my rant. It is not directed at you personally, just an observation I have seen several times here on the MYOG pages.

There really aren't that many patterns for MYOG out there. If there are, you have to pay, because someone had to spend time making them understandable for others to follow. There are a few dedicated souls out there that do make patterns for everyone to use, and we really appreciate it, but this is a rarity. Also most OEM's who have patterns, don't want others making their stuff.
    Most of the people here who make stuff don't use patterns either, because they are making it up as they go along. A good practice for this is (as Bill recommended) to buy cheap $1 a yard fabric and make a mock-up. A tarp and quilt really don't need patterns because of their simplicity. You should be able to just look at pictures of other projects of quilts and tarps and that be enough. Clothing is harder and does require a pattern, but you can find those at a sewing store. And, if I can make a backpack without a pattern, anyone can. I know it seems a daunting task, especially with expensive high performance fabric, but that is why you make one with cheap fabric first and learn for yourself.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/6114/index.html

in the above thread easty posted pics and a sketch of a down quilt he made.

His quilt @ 58" is wider than anything i've used, and i weigh 300lbs, but recently i have been thinking i'd like more room so it doesn't always have to be tucked so mummy tight.

Just look at what he did and revise based on your needs.

Remember a quilt is just a sandwich. shells right sides together and insulation on top. sew around the whole thing, leaving only a 10" open section on the bottom, turn inside out and close up. I like to add drawstring tubes top and bottom and a couple cinch straps, just put them in there where you want them and pin before you sew it shut.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Michael,

I made a double quilt using Momentum and Climashield XP.
    You mentioned silnylon as an option … I wouldn't recommend that because of it's total lack of breathability.

I also agree with other posters, just wing it with cheap material! I've even used painter's plastic drop cloths for Home Depot to play with!

David Wills

@willspower3

a starting place would be 72"x52"x42" given an average girth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools