Topic

guy line storage?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique guy line storage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

How do you avoid a big tangle when it is time to set up shelter?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I coil the guylines, then wrap them in a extra small rubberband and then store them in a small ziploc bag. simple and easy- no tagels

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

The best method I've seen is that by Vick Hines from here on BPL. Take a look at his method

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

What a great idea!!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I use 3 foot lengths. I grab the entire bunch and wrap them around my tent stakes. I take the last bit and pull it up between half of the tent stakes securing the lines so they will not unravel. I drop the tent stakes & coiled lines into a sock.

Jamie

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Instead of coiling lines (which results in twisted tangles when uncoiled), I wrap in a figure-eight pattern (which pays out untwisted)–for long guys I make the figure-eight long enough to tie in a loose overhand knot to keep it contained. This is also how I deal with air and water hoses (and vacuum cords)as one can grab the end and pull without a continuous line of coiled twistiness. I encourage everyone to try this with their garden hose as well as long guylines. Please let me know if I didn't explain this method clear enough to understand. PS I love Vick Hines' poncho/tarp corner guy storage pouches and used his idea on my ponchos but still wound the guys in a figure-eight.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

My coiling method has never led to tangles or knots. I wrap them very tight with very, very small rubberbands. It works for me and I have been tarping for some 4 years know.
    Goodluck

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Perhaps figure-eight works better for me than coiled because my ridge guys are 12 feet long. Actually upon reflection, I only stow them like this when I put my gear away. On multiday trips my tarp gets kind of rolled up and then all the guys wrapped around the whole bundle (which does tangle a little bit, but not very much).

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Locale: Southeast

Have you considered a "Daisy Chain Knot" for storing line? I've used this with a lot of success outside of backpacking. Just in case you're not familiar with it here's a link. In this video they refer to it as a "Monkey Chain Knot":

http://www.flixya.com/video/145940/Monkey_Chain_Knot

They don't show it in this video, but you can double the line over itself one or two (or more) times before you start the knot to male it more compact.

I currently use for my hammock a few cut down velcro cable wraps. I like them because they stay attached to the line when not in use so they won't get lost. I found them at Home Depot and come a package with 2 rolls of grey and black. I just simply cut one in half (or shorter) and trim down the sides and it doesn't even register any weight to the hundredth of an once on my scale at home.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

For Regular Tarps:

After pulling the stakes and poles of a pitched tarp, flip the corner lines onto the tarp and make a fold to capture them then flip on the other lines and fold fold some more and then into the stuffsack. This is abuot the simplest and fastest method too.

The individual folds keep each line pretty much isolated from the others and when it's time to pitch it again, unfurl it and the lines should be pretty much separated.

Another key is to keep the lines as short as possible.

Does not apply to ponchos.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools