Topic

BPL at Trail Days in Damascus, VA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info BPL at Trail Days in Damascus, VA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

The Road to Damascus

By Mike Martin (photos courtesy of Ty Brady)

I had the privilege to represent Backpackinglight at Trail Days in Damascus, VA last week with fellow BPL staffer Joel Walthall.

We had a booth in the vendor pavilion where we answered questions, handed out trial subscriptions, and wowed visitors with titanium sporks.

BPL Booth at Trail Days

I held two "Introduction to Lightweight Backpacking" Seminars and led an instructional hike. Overwhelmingly, the traditional hikers we met were to very receptive to lightweight techniques. Plus, I was struck by how much of the gear and techniques that we lightweight folks take for granted, and would think that are widely known, are actually new to many mainstream hikers. A lot of people at the seminars and hike had never cooked on an alcohol or esbit stove, never seen a quilt, never considered a tarp instead of a tent, etc. Here I'm showing a Cuben Fiber Tarp to a class at the "Rock School".

A Cuben Fiber Tarp at the Intro to Lightweight Backpacking Seminar

For our instructional hike, a group of us headed South on the Appalachian Trail carrying lightweight packs. The fast-hiking guy in front of me is longtime BPL member Tom Clark whom I had the pleasure to meet for the first time. (Please take a look at Tom's excellent forum thread for his take on Trail Days.)

Students experience lightweight hiking on the AT

During the hike, we set up three different types of shelters: A lightweight freestanding tent (Black Diamond OneShot), a floorless shaped tarp shelter (Golite Hut 1), and an extremely light Cuben Fiber Tarp (BMW Stealth NANO One). We're setting up the Nano Tarp over a Quantum Bivy Sack.

Students set up an ultralight tarp

And, here it is pitched to aesthetic perfection:A properly pitched lightweight tarp in A-frame configuration

A future lightweight hiker takes refuge in the OneShot:

A future lightweight hiker

We cooked a hot snack over lightweight alcohol and esbit stoves and cooksets:

Ultralight Kitchen

Here, we're scouting for Pterodactyls as we heard they were preying on unsuspecting hikers in the area…Or, I'm hanging a bear bag – I can't remember which.

Hanging a bear bag

In addition to Tom Clark, Joel and I had the good fortune to meet several other "friends of BPL". Here Grant Sible from Gossamer Gear and Russ Zandbergen of Caldera Cone fame secretly discuss a Microsoft/Yahoo style merger to dominate the lightweight hiking universe.

Grant Sible and Russ Zandbergen

Meanwhile, twenty yards away, Ron Bell from Mountain Laurel Designs has finally solved the tarp condensation problem with his new innovative double-walled tarp:

MLD Tarps

The Six Moon Designs booth was directly across from Gossamer Gear's. Both companies had their 1-pound shelters out so passers by could compare the "One" with the "Refuge X".

Gossamer Gear SheltersSix Moon Designs Shelters

Jack Tier from Jacks 'R' Better is modeling his JRB Down Hood and Sleeves with a Bozeman Mountain Works Cocoon Vest. Jack claims the lightweight combination will keep him warm down to zero degrees!

Jack Tier from Jacks 'R' Better

By far the most memorable person I had the chance to meet at Trail Days was Eugene Espy, who is purported to the the second person ever to thru-hike the AT in the early 1950's. He told tales of his hike before much of the AT infrastructure existed – even before there were mice in the shelters!

Eugene Espy

The entire town of Damascus really came out to support this event. It was amazing how welcoming they were to the thru-hiking community. There were free showers and medical check-ups, free food, music,… even haircuts.

Free Gear repair in "Tent City":

Free Gear Repair in Tent City

The town of Damascus evidently takes its Bingo very seriously as shown by their state-of-the-art Bingo Training Center.

Damascus Bingo Training Center

A few days Ultralight walking to either end of the trail…

AT Mileage Sign

Some other backpacking magazine was also there, but our stuff was way lighter!

Backpacker magazine

It was a great experience for me to go to Trail Days. I had the chance to meet a lot of wonderful people, spread some lightweight goodwill, and absorb first hand a bit of the AT thru-hiking culture. Someday, if I can ever get an entire Summer free from other commitments, I'd love to take a few thousand more steps along the trail…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I like it so far…
    Franco

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Me too. I wouldn't expect anything less
    Franco
    …when I posted my silly comments all we had was the heading and a line that stated
    "more to come"
    Couldn't help myself

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

?

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Mike Martin has the pics and will be uploading soon. I will follow up with him to gently, um, light a fire under his rear.

Sorry for the link that led…nowhere!

Addie

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Guys-

Sorry for the delays.

Addie's…umm…gentle persuasion was successful. The photo essay is up. :)

Cheers,

-Mike

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Nice write up Mike, now wishing I drove down to Trail Days. Bet your session made a lot of folks seriously consider what they put in there packs.
    Cheers
    Jim

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Mike,
    I enjoyed the humorous captions, it's good to get the inside scoop.

Mike had a very nice approach during his talk and hike, so it wasn't preachy or condescending. I think the people there were very interested in getting more educated and talking about the pros & cons of the various aspects of UL backpacking.

To be honest, the only reason I was able to hike ahead of Mike up that hill was probably because of the heavy pack he was carrying. ;)

Tom

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Thanks for the photos and clever words!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools