Topic

“walking” rope spec,length, use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism “walking” rope spec,length, use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

We, 2 of us, are planning a trip to the Pyranees Haute Route. It is early season so there will still be some snow, we are therefore taking ice axes and crampons. We have some training with these and some experience. There is the possibility of a day trip up the highest Pyraneean mountain. The guide book suggests ice axe, crampons and a rope. I have never owned my own rope. I have climbed with others using a rope fixed with various anchor devices and wearing a climbing harness. I believe the rope's use is to do with climbing on a glacier, on a path marked by many feet. This is a popular route. It may also be for exposed bits. My question: what use is a rope without anchor devices? What specification and length should I get for a "just in case" rope of minimum weight? We are already carrying a lot of food so I don't want to carry more than I have to.

douglas ray

@mountainmandoug

It sounds like the rope is for glacier travel with the risk of falling into crevasses. This is pretty much the only use of a rope without anchors of some sort, because the terrain and conditions are such that one can self-arrest and stop a partners fall.

To travel across glaciers safely requires competent snow climbing skill, very good self-arrest skills, along with anchor-building and rescue skills. If you don't know that stuff than don't bother buying a rope. Go take a course on glacier travel and crevasse rescue (which will answer your questions about ropes) or hire a guide for that part of your trip.

To find out more there are many good books on the subject. Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is the classic standard but there are many others. Look one up somewhere for a full explenation.

Kai Larson

@kaipl

Locale: Colorado

This is the rope you are looking for:

http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=320092

Kai Larson

@kaipl

Locale: Colorado

Black Diamond's page:

http://www.bdel.com/gear/rando.php

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools