Topic

Anyone know how to make a tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Anyone know how to make a tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chad H

@inbloom54

I am interested in making a tarp. I have never done it and was wondering if anyone had good plans for making one. Thanks

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

BPLs Jay Ham lays out a great MYOG project including stuff sacks, tarp and pack. Great pics and explanation.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_5_yards_to_sul_part_1.html

Additionally, if you search the MYOG forum there should be reports on other tarp projects.

So the forum can better help:

What size tarp do you want to make?
    What material do you want to use?
    What features would you like on your tarp?
    Where and in what conditions do you plan to use this tarp?

Matt

Chad H

@inbloom54

I have never actually used a tarp, but was in Walmart the other day and found some silnylon. I would like the tarp to be big enough for two people, my guess is 10×6. I live in the Northwest, so it would have to be able to be used in light rain. I would probably use a tent if i knew it was going to be pouring all day. I would just like a versatile tarp, that i can set up a frame as well as lean to style. I am really new to the whole backpacking light stuff, so any info you have would be great.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

10 x 6 may work for 2 "little people" but nor for 2 normal sized people. if this will be your 1st tarp i wouldn't go smaller than 10×12, this will give you plenty of protection and allow you some time to learn the limits of tarping before you push the envelope with smaller sizes.

For a 10 x 12 just cut 8 yards of silynlon in half and sew it together. 4yds = 12 ft, 60 in + 60 in = 10ft. use a flat felled french seam for the ridge line (visit thru-hiker for instructions) and a 1/2 rolled hem on the perimeter add a couple webbing loops and you're done.

Michael Barber
    Spectator

@barber5

Locale: Southeast US

I find it difficult to believe Walmart carries silnylon. If they do in fact carry it… is it cheaper there then say thru-hiker?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

walmart has 3 diff 1.1ish nylons as i can tell.(vick says there 1.6)

1. some cheap dwr breathable stuff
    2. coated with something, almost looks and feels like sil, but it isn't and isn't water proof enough for anything
    3. silnylon, i have heard of cases where people have actually found the good stuff at wally world, i myself haven't been so lucky, only 1 & 2.

before when i said to make a 10 x 12 tarp i forgot to mention that once you are more comfortable with tarping you can cut that tarp down to an 8×10 which is a standard 2 person tarp size. that way you won't need top build a diff tarp, just cut some size and weight from the one you already made.
    (make the 12ft the 10ft and the 10ft the 8ft so the ridge
    line is still running on the long side.)

10×12 should weigh in ball park of 22oz
    8×10 about 14oz
    i made a 9×10 the other day for a friend and it weighed 15 or 16oz. i can't remember which (owfinc silnylon)

Oh, and yes it is normally cheaper than any online retailer, perhaps close to Noah Lamport but normally chaeper, even dollar bin cheap.

G Dup

@lococoyo

You know I thought the same thing – almost asked to verify before I reassured myself that (first, its not sil, and second they wouldn't have it locally) it doesn't matter what they're selling – I still won't be shopping there. My guess is its just garden variety ~2 oz ripstop but what do I know, I haven't seen their fabrics. Maybe they got closeouts from some Southeast Asia gear factory closure, ha.

Asking if its cheaper than thru-hiker?! Blasphemous! Honestly though, alot of places are cheaper than thru-hiker. But you can't be disrespectin' the man, he's a resource to the community and that makes it better deal than anything at you could ever find at Walmart – doesn't matter who you are.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools