Topic

Granite Gear Hipbelt Pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Granite Gear Hipbelt Pockets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I just spent 45 minutes trying to attach some new GG hipbelt pockets to my new Vapor Day Pack…but all I got was frustrated.

Does anyone use these? I'm pretty sure I attached them right according to the directions, but they prevent the hipbelt from tightening properly. And the hipbelt webbing really pulls the attachment points in such a way that leaves me thinking that they might rip.

Here are some photos:

hipbelt2

Michael Barber
    Spectator

@barber5

Locale: Southeast US

I don't have any, though I want to get them and that does not look good. You have to be doing something wrong there. Good luck with that and looking forward to seeing it worked out before I buy them.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Yeah. I think I have to be doing something wrong too. Thing is, there just isn't much to be done wrong! I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm ready to throw the things across the room. I'm sure I'll eat my words later though…

Mine just don't looks like Will's here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/granite_gear_vapor_day_pack_spotlite_review.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/granite_gear_nimbus_meridian_backpack_review.html

One potential complication: I have a large belt, but have it tightened down nearly all the way. I don't think this should matter though.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Perhaps you need to unty the webbing from the buckle, put the attachment over the buckle and tie the webbing back again. I've got the impression that will has done it this way in the review.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

David,

I have the Granite Gear hip pockets (and shoulder pockets) which I love so much that I can't go hiking without them!

However, your time of 45 minutes to install them is pretty good! Imagine uninstalling them from one pack to re-install them on another! I like the pockets to much that this is exactly what I do. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd just buy a set for every pack.

Note that every pack is different and there may be a few packs out there that the pockets simply don't fit. However, I have a GG Nimbus Ozone, a GoLite Jam, a Vaude Rock 35 and a couple of fanny packs, LL Bean Approach and a Gregory Torpedo that all fit the pockets.

I think that you have installed them correctly. You simply have not yet learned the "tricks" to tightening the hip belt while wearing them.

In your picture, I see that your hip belt is the type that pulls toward your navel. (Like the Vapor Day Pack in Will's review). Here is the "trick." Prior to putting on your pack, set your hip belt length a little larger than your waist. Then put it on and buckle.

Here's the important part: pull only one side at a time … use one hand next to the buckle to pull the part of the belt that is against your waist toward your hip(this creates slack in the other buckle in your photo) … while using your other hand on the tail of the strap (the end you normally pull) to take up that slack created by the other hand. Just do a little at a time, alternating between the left and right sides, until the pack is snug.

I hope you can follow this mumbo-jumbo and it helps you to enjoy the benefit of your pockets!

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

I installed one of the pockets on my wife's Vapor Ki. The hipbelt has the newer system for tightening the hipbelt that is different from my older Vapor Trail. What I did to install on the Vapor Ki was remove the hipbelt strap completely from that side of the pack. I then stretched the pocket attachment over the fixed buckle that is attached the the pack hipbelt. Then reinstalled the hipbelt strap. That way there is no stress on the pocket attachment and it does not interfere with the operation of the hipbelt. Let me know if you need a photo.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

That's the ticket, thanks Mike. Tim, I think that's what you were suggesting too. Once I realized that Granite Gear had updated the style of its hipbelts, it became clear that the instructions were outdated and incorrect. Slipping the pocket over the buckle resolved the issue.

Interestingly, my girlfriend has an old Vapor Trail, so installing her pockets worked just like in the instructions.

The pockets look like they'll work fine on both packs.

Whew! I'd gotten frustrated for nothing. Thanks for the help guys.

Dave

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

…Michael, when you slip the attachment over the buckle, it only takes 5 minutes tops to put a pocket on. Might be useful for you given that you switch packs frequently.

Otto Samuelsson
    BPL Member

@otto27

I own a GG Virga with unpadded hipbelt. Is it possible to attach GG Hipbelt Pockets to the Virga hipbelt?

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I own a Virga as well. Quite a Granite Gear fan here.

I'm trying to sort out whether I can make the hip belt pockets work on the Virga. I have my doubts. The Virga lacks the hip stabilizer buckle that the pockets attach to. I don't know how to get around this problem.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

So, I called Granite Gear today, and their hipbelt pockets do not attach to the Virga. Unfortunate, but…oh well.

On the up side, it looks like MLD makes pockets that will work just fine with the Virga:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=70&osCsid=44a3718a6bb71dc38b6145a2b2ab470a

This is a direct quote from Ron's description:

"IF YOU HAVE A PACK WITH A 1.5" WIDE WAIST BELT WITH NO WINGS (like the ula-equipment.com Relay) , NOTE THAT IN THE COMMENTS FIELD OF THE CHECKOUT AND WE WILL BUILD YOURS WITH A 2" WIDE BELT."

The picture of this feature looks like it would work perfectly with the Virga:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/images/pocketback.jpg

The ULA pockets would work too, but they're shaped oddly in order to accommodate the Amp's winged hipbelt. I prefer the symetrical, square shape of the MLD pockets.

*sigh*

Looks like I have to place another order for hipbelt pockets. These things should really just come standard with all packs. When this is all said and done, I'll have spent $80 on hipbelt pocket add ons.

I'm gonna just start hiking in a loin cloth, carrying only a knife… That'll help me avoid a lot of frustrations.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

From MLD's website:

Orders are taking about 8 – 10 weeks to ship. Smaller items we do not sew (stakes, poles, line, etc. ship in about a week.)

I would check out the Gossamer Gear Hip Belt pockets for use on the Virga. I have both the Vapor Trail and Virga. I have the Granite Gear hip belt pocket set up on the Vapor Trail and I too have been looking at pockets for the Virga. The advantage to the Gossamer Gear pockets is they are half the cost and are in stock. You might want to check them out before getting on the 9 week wait for some MLD pockets.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Otto Samuelsson
    BPL Member

@otto27

Gossamer Gear Hip Belt Pockets will be my choice for the Virga.
    Thank you for gathering information making it easier for me to make a decision.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Actaully, I don't think that the Gossamer Gear pockets will work well with the Virga. The webbing that they attach with is much wider than the hipbelt.

I think that the MLD ones will probably work best.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I bet that Zpacks hip belts would work with a Virga … they are designed for Joe's packs, which have 1 and 1.5 inch belt options

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Picked up a used Virga a few weeks back and was looking at possibly getting hip belt pockets. Wondering if anyone tried any of the suggestions on this thread. Gossamer? MLD? ZPacks? Dave or anyone else?

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

MLD pockets shipped within 3 days of my order last week. It seems that they have a small stockpile of these ready waiting to be shipped.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Thanks for the info. Did you use these with a Virga? If so, did they fit well? Were they comfortable? I'm specifically looking for feedback on any of these hipbelt pockets when used with 1.5" webbing only belt like the Virga has.

Josh Davidson

@mears

What items are you guys placing in these pockets? Does anyone use the shoulder strap pockets?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

I plan on using MLD belt pocket for my camera and shoulder pocket for a water bottle. I use Jam2. I'd give MLD a call to check if pockets will fit specific pack.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I use a single Granite Gear hip belt pocket on my VT. I use it for my camera and usually a snack or two, and sometimes a folded up map. They work great, and are actually quite rain resistant.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

@ Mike W.: Why didn't you like the camera in the hipbelt pocket? That's what I'm mainly interested in using it for.

Does anyone who uses a hipbelt pocket with a pack that only has a webbing belt find that they flop around too much? That is my concern. All the pockets on the market seem like they would be nicely secured to a winged or padded belt but I could see the pocket swinging around if it's just on 1.5" webbing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools