Topic

Tomato Powder Substitute

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Tomato Powder Substitute

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jim Cook
    Spectator

@mrcooktoyou

Locale: Land of Cotton

I have read that instant tomato soup powder can often be substituted for tomato powder in many backpacking recipes. Anyone else find that to be true? Since the instant soup is much easier to find that the powder, this would be a great help. I'm sure also there will be taste differences.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sure! It works well. Just don't add any salt till everything is cooked – the soup will often add plenty on its own :-) And for brands? Nearly any tomato soup powder will work.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you're having a hard time finding tomato powder, check out harmonyhousefoods.com. They sell it, and it's very good. They're a great company to buy from – very responsive and helpful. Be sure to check out their other veggies, beans, and fruit. The new blueberries are terrific.

Jim Cook
    Spectator

@mrcooktoyou

Yeah, I have seen many people recommend Harmony House. I was just looking for a last-minute alternative, something Publix might have.

Jim Cook
    Spectator

@mrcooktoyou

I so dislike going to Super Wal-Mart for groceries. It's a necessary evil most of the time since they're the cheapest game in town and we're a one-salary family. I generally do my backpacking food shopping at Publix since Wal-Mart only carries what can easily be sold to the average redneck.

So who is the only store that carries instant tomato soup? Publix? No. Wal-Mart? Yes. Dang it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You can get instant tomato soup by Lipton, Knorr and Bear Creek. There are other ones as well. Poke around a bit – you can always use part of a big package.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Jim,
    Go Krogering. I'm in TN and make the occasional weekender to AL. Hit the Kroger web site and "find stores" in the upper right. Kroger sells soups and such as any other grocery store, but I have yet to find tomato powder. I thought about making some from paste in the dehydrator, but not sure if that would work. I'd prefer something with less sodium than what I'd get from a can. Powdered spaghetti sauce over couscous is quick when you need to keep your breaks short.
    Chris
    p.s. It's good to see someone who despises Wal-Mart as much as I do.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Is easy! :-)

Once you get the tomato leather dry – I suggest drying on parchment paper and flipping it over once tacky dry so the backside gets evenly dried – take that leather and freeze it. Once cold, run through your blender. Ta-da! Powder ;-)

Otherwise, Harmony House Foods online makes a great tomato powder with nothing in it but tomatoes.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Sarah,

How do you make your Tomato leather?

Thanks, Rod

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I buy no salt added organic tomato paste then add a ton of parsley, garlic, thyme, pepper….and then spread it on with a spatula. The reason behind using parchment paper is tomatoes dye dryer trays.

It is also good to add in sauteed fresh garlic and diced onions.

It is honestly one of the easiest things to make :-) And if all you want is plain tomato powder, even easier: open can, spread. Heh!

Eric Fitz

@pounce

I use this:

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/tomato-powder

I go into the store in Chicago when I am in town and get it, but it's a mail order place too. I love this place. If you get some of the other spice mixtures get them without salt. Add your own salt to taste. They sell some freeze dried items too, but I've never compared the prices. I perch in front of the sweet corn tasting bowl when I'm there ;)

The tomato powder is very good.

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

I believe a dehydrator should be an absolutely essential piece of gear for all ULrs. It's uses are almost limitless. Your imagination will become your guide.

Dehydrators can be had for very little cost and cost very little to use. I recommend spending enough to get one with a temperature gauge. It's worth the extra expense. Also consider a timer. I use a cheap plug in from Walmart. They work just fine. I also encourage the use of parchment paper. Buy it at your local Grocery Store in the baking section.

Your meals will weigh almost nothing, you'll extend your travel time without resupplying, your food will be preserved almost indefinitely, all you will need is water and you can eat like a king for VERY little cost.

Peter

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

If you look at this review (scroll down to the Nesco FD75 PR review I wrote) http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=5098&cat=Foods%20%2D%20Energy%20Bars%2C%20Gels%2C%20and%20Drinks&cid=64

this is the model that I used when writing my wilderness cooking course, my first cookbook and half of the second cookbook. it has been abused and still runs like new.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools