Topic

Wood burning stoves on the JMT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Wood burning stoves on the JMT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I recall reading a thread on this topic a year ago, but I cannot remember the conclusion. Since fires are not allowed above 9,000' does that include woodburning stoves, specifically the Bushbuddy? Is the ban mainly due to the lack of fuel sources, and endangered vegetation, or mainly fire danger?

Aaron Wallace
    BPL Member

@basilbop

My understanding is the ban is against burning/consuming wood, and reflects a scarcity of wood, not the risk of fire danger. It is also probably illegal to carry wood from lower elevations to higher ones for consumption, if only to prevent abuse. That said, there are plenty of campsites on the JMT that are in lower, well-forested canyons where burning wood is not an issue, legally or ecologically.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Frank,

The ranger at the Lone Pine ranger station told me last summer when picking up my permit,that they didn't have any clear rules regarding the BB even at higher than tree line and said it was my choice to carry it and opined that he didn't think I would have a problem. I left it behind on the chance that I would be camping above tree line some of the time. As it turn out I was camped below the fire ban line of 10k' all but a few nights and believe that I could have used it without any problem except for the wet weather we had most of the first week. You will most likely get a different answer from each ranger you discuss it with but the general consensus last year regarding a hard and fast rule was, "wait and see."

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools