Topic

Stove Fuel issues

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stove Fuel issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

I recently changed my kitchen setup to include a caldera cone w/alcohol stove and a brasslite 550ml mug. To test it out I used some isopropyl from the auto parts store packaged as "gas line antifreeze". The fuel that I had used before was just denatured alcohol from a paint store. I have heard that denatured alcohol can be inconsistent, and that the pure isopropyl is a better bet for fuel… Upon testing the isopropyl burned very efficiently and far hotter than the other stuff, but when I cooked with it my whole pot and cone were covered with a thick black soot. I'm wondering if this isn't just some wierd coating burning off part of my setup, but it seems more likely that the fuel is responsible. What is the best fuel to use in alcohol stoves?? I've heard so many things and now I'm confused:-(

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

My first preference is HEET in the yellow bottle. The red bottle leaves soot.

Second preference is denatured alcohol from the hardware store.

Third preference is grain alcohol from the liquor store. Burns great, but is VERY expensive.

HEET in the red bottle burns good, but leaves the soot. The only downside to the soot is that it is messy.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

They didn't have the HEET brand at the store, but told me this stuff was the same thing… obviously it must have been the red bottle type. I wasn't aware there was any isopropyl that left soot. I'm going out to go out and try a bottle of the yellow HEET.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Yup, Isopropanol=soot.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Yellow Heet is Methyl Alchohol .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools