Topic

Ingenious UL Alternative to a Tripod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Ingenious UL Alternative to a Tripod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I came across this absolutely ingenious method to replacing a tripod. It's so simple that you wonder why nobody thought of it before!

Thanks Lighthiker!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's a stabilizer, but doesn't replace a tripod for some functions as taking self portraits of you or a group. I had seen that recently though and plan to try it out.

Lloyd Lee-Lim

@ltleelim

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Interesting. It would be lighter without the washer. Just tie a loop on the end and stick your foot in the loop.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think this will be about as effective as a monopod. I've always thought the lightest way to get a true UL tripod would be to buy a hiking pole with a camera mount, set it up like a monopod, and then send 3 guylines from the mount and stake them equidistant into the ground a few feet from the base of the pole. Using guyline tensioners you should be able to get the monopod quite stable. Of course, if one of your stakes pull out, there goes your $1000 camera. =)

I dabbled with this idea once but it's a hassle to get it all set up. Though wrapping the guyline around the pole for storage makes it faster. Still, if you were intent on getting a sunset shot at a certain location, you could get it all setup beforehand, and assuming you later use the guyline and stakes for your tarp/tent, it should add zero weight to your setup.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The string "monopod" has been around for at least twenty years, originally using a foot loop, no need for extra weight.

With the Ultrapod you can turn any stick into a monopod. Just shove it inside your pack for the freestanding mode. The heavier the camera the more ballast you need inside the pack (rocks/sand inside a bag)
    Franco
    Freestanding monopod

Jan Stiff

@jsstiffmchsi-com

One of the lightest alternatives to a tripod has been around for years. Take a child's beanbag (or make one, if you sew) and set it on top of a rock, fence post, or whatever else is available. Use a cable release (if possible) and you will have essentially the same results as if you had been using a tripod.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools