Topic

An idea for an MYOG pole:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear An idea for an MYOG pole:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul Foreman

@fish3006

Had an epiphany while moving some fishing rods on the deck of the fish shack: Turn an inexpensive heavy duty fiberglass catfishing spinning rod from Academy or Wal-Mart into a hiking staff/trekking pole. It would be lightweight with ferrules and such removed, very sturdy, and have a long, padded grip area. The only issue is reinforcement of the small end …
    I think I'm going to do it. Will provide pictures if the experiment is successful.

Paul Foreman

@fish3006

work out. On the cheap ones, the rod itself does not go all the way through the handle, thus creating a potential weak spot.
    But i DID find a collapsible crappie pole, whose main section is super light, and exactly the right height for my wife at 5-7. It has a nice, sturdy rubber plug for the small end, and a nice screw plug for the bigger end. I stripped off the line keeper, but I reckon the fishermen amongst you might keep the pole sections inside with it for fishing in far-away ponds and streams. gotta get a scale …

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools