Topic

What’s in your first aid kit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique What’s in your first aid kit?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Kerry Collins

@iceman311

I am a WFR, and I carry a standard Atwater Backpacker First Aid kit…I used to think that all this stuff was mostly unnecessary, until I went backpacking in the Grand Canyon and my friend got 2nd degree burns on his foot from knocking over a pot of boiling water. I was really the first time I used my kit, and we wouldn't have made it with out it. I would also recommend using krazy glue to close wounds, works great! One quick note that its also better to have OTC pain meds, and stomach med when on a trip(you never know when your going to need it).

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

A little while ago we were talking about taping ankles, and I brought up the point that–taping on hair could potentially hurt worse than the sprain! I then questioned whether we should add a razor to our first aid kits… so the funny thing is, I was going through a wholesalers supply catalog a few days ago and found a 1 gram safety razor. The manufacturer or parent company is Securitas. It's actually a pretty convenient little thing. Mind you, I'm not sure a full-sized razor blade weighs a whole lot more, but still…

Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

Brad,
    There was recently a thread on lightweight knives and BPL now sells the DERMA-SAFE folding knife which is in fact a razor. Since I only use a knife in an emergency this will be in my first aid kit and if I use and dull it, it is replacable for only a couple of bucks.

I have a taping quesiton for you: I have read references to the Leukotape but am not familiar with it. Is it that superior to athletic wrapping tape that you would find at a pharmacy?

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Locale: Southeast

Brad,

I just found their web site, securitas-inc.com. Too bad they're a wholesaler because I've been trying to find a finger toothbrush. If only there was a retailer around that could carry those (cough, cough… hint, hint BPL) That razor is pretty cool.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

"I've been trying to find a finger toothbrush. If only there was a retailer around that could carry those (cough, cough… hint, hint BPL)" -Brad

http://www.rei.com/product/751250

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752911

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Okay, so it's been many months since we last visited this thread. I just went through what I'd been thinking was my "ultralight" first aid kit and weighed all the individual components:

2 maxipads- 0.86 oz
    2 bandanas- 2.3 oz (multipurpose)
    asst. bandaids- 0.5 oz
    superglue- 0.5 oz
    ace wrap- 1.8 oz
    14G- 0.19 oz
    space blanket- 1.74 oz
    antibiotic pkts- 0.4 oz
    tick puller- 0.25 (used up to 12x/day)
    tape- 0.8 oz
    razor- 1gm
    whisky- sterilization, in food bag

Total weight: 8.94 oz

Call it 9 ounces–that's heavy! If you were to count the bandanas as clothing, the kit weight would be 6.6 oz, but still… Does anyone have experience with kinesiotape? Would that be a good, lightweight option for a bum ankle (longer trip, wetness, etc). Any idea how much the stuff weighs? If I could ditch the ace wrap for something ~1oz that'd be great. That razor should get rid of taped-hair problems.

Anyone else have a surprising revelation about the actual weight of their first aid kit?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I guess I'm horribly unprepared compared to you guys, but I think I have too much.

What I carry:
    tweezers (loose, from an old knife)
    reading glasses (so I can use the tweezers)
    A few bandaids
    Neosporin
    One square of moleskin
    A roll of soft gauze
    A roll of athletic tape
    A needle and thread (good for fixing things and popping blisters)
    A few Vicodin
    Lots of ibuprofen
    An alka-seltzer (whoops, I used it, need to restock)
    A couple of anti-diarrhea pills

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Great info here.

What I find funny is that I didn't notice anyone mentioning burn creams. With alcohol stoves and some of the crazy jet burners people have around…. Even a first degree hurts like hell. The creams are like angels trumpeting in the wilderness…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Stephen,

I have gotten a few minor burns over the years. Pretty much just let it blister, then pop it, add antiseptic, and cover with a bandaid or gauze. If it hurts like hell, then take an Advil or Tylenol. Burns are pretty much a non-issue. The minor burns are probably one every five years. Since I already have the stuff for treating blisters, no use carrying burn cream.

This is one of the reasons I don't use a Bic lighter for starting a stove; increases the risk for a minor burn.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I DO carry a small vial of burn cream. An essential component imho.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

after lots and lots of reading/researching I've started all over with my first kit and ended saving an ounce w/ a much better kit

my original kit looks like the normal small first aid kit- not a bad kit, but certainly room for improvement

old kit- 2 4×4's, 2 3×3's, 1.5 sheets of moleskin, 2 triple antibiotic, asst bandages, ace bandage, roll of gauze, butterfly closures, medical tape, ibuprofen, tylonel, antihistamine, and antidiarrhea – all in a pretty red first aid bag

Photobucket

new kit- I re-used the "medicine" and the roll of gauze, I added a small curved tip irrigator, 2 4×4.5 tegaderm bandages, pack of 10 1/4 x4 steri-strips, two triple antibiotic creams, 3 2g Celox (hemostatic agent), 2' of Leukotape (wrapped around a section of a straw), 2 vials of tincture of benzoin- all in a pretty (waterproof!) 6×9" alkosak :)

Photobucket

old kit 3.7 oz, new 2.7 oz- just by going to the alkosak vs the pretty red bag netted ~ 0.3 oz

I also re-packaged my repair kit and mention it here as many of the items (duct tape, needle, safety pins, alcohol prep pads, super glue) do double duty for first aid- by putting the repair kit in a 3×4 ziplock I saved 0.5 oz (over the leather Chouinard bag) (1.4 vs 0.9)

Photobucket

there are numerous other items floating around in my kit that would probably qualify as first aid, probably foremost of which is the the swiss army classic w/ scissors and tweezers- great little instrument for less than an ounce

btw if anyone is interested I was forced to pick up some of the items (like the irrigator) in multi-piece lots

Mike

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

A small ziploc baggie with the corner nipped off works great for irrigation…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

good idea- a play w/ a bitel top would work pretty well too

I'm pretty impressed w/ the little 12cc one- it puts out a fair amount of pressure and you can direct the stream very accurately

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

A small ziploc baggie with the corner nipped off works great for irrigation…

Not that I have needed to use one yet but two outdoors oriented wilderness first aid classes offered by different organizations have told me that few if any improvised irrigation devices work nearly as well as a syringe designed for the purpose … 1) not enough velocity and 2) difficulties in pinpointing a small target.

Mine weighs 8 grams (0.29oz)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Curious. Extra weight.
    I normally use a (hopefuly) clean handkerchief and a water bottle. Zero extra weight.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I had read the same thing concerning pressure- there are several medical reports documenting this (just google high pressure wound irrigation)

we must have the same 12cc irrigator, as mine weighs 8 grams as well :)

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Curious… I learned about the baggie trick in a W-EMT class and, I believe, in OEC. Have to nip off a tiny bit of the corner. If you want to carry the syringe, by all means! But if you're trying to cut as much weight as possible and still achieve decent irrigation if the need actually arises… knowledge and improvisation are the kings of backcountry medical "treatment."

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

no arguments here- knowledge/innovation is indeed paramount in wilderness first aid

that same handy baggie can also be used (w/a little duct tape) as a occlusive patch for a chest wound

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

I would like to put in a plug here for learning the medicinal herbs of your hiking region and learning how to incorporate them into your first aid knowledge.  I am thinking of things that are abundant in many environments, like yarrow (chew it up and spread it on a wound as a poultice) or pine pitch (the sap from a pine tree–really good for cuts).  These are just a couple examples.  There are many more!  It’s helpful to know how to use the natural environment for first aid, and it facilitates a deeper connection with the plants as you hike by.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Holy thread resurrection!

Seems like this topic comes up monthly :)

I saw a couple old member posts from folks like Jason Kloss who have long departed BPL. Also saw one of my posts during a fire striker stage instead of a BIC for lighting stoves, happily that didn’t last long. My FAK kit is still very minimal.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nick, you make it sound like Jason Klass is dead, lol. Mini bics, great piece of kit.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

WFR here.

Highly recommend adding wilderness first aid training to the certs — there were a lot of EMTs in my class. You learn protocols that are specific to the wilderness, including what to do with CPR.

My personal first aid when going with others who have their own first aid stuff is minimal. My complete kit, with trauma shears and everything, goes with me when I am taking the students from my backpacking class or am with a mixed group of newbies and experienced backpackers. There is a certain level of risk to having people who don’t think about the consequences of doing stuff that can lead to injury.

A friend used superglue on an open wound on a foot and ended up sobbing all the way back to the trailhead. The expensive stuff has important differences that likely contribute to the cost, ie not making you a shrieking crying mess because it hurts like a $^#&%*.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Ken, you’re right. I’ll edit it :)

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I’m a nurse and I bring:

2x large band aid

2x small band aids

4x 1000mg Tylenol

2x 200mg Benadryl

1 small packet antibiotic oint.

On longer, remote trips I might bring 2x 4×4 gauze and a little tape.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools