Topic

Rain/wind shells

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain/wind shells

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

OK, so I'm (almost) convinced that I need to carry BOTH a rain and wind shell instead of one heavy rainjacket. Which would you choose?

I've been looking at the following options:

1. Rain jacket

OR Zealot
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/ODR0111/Outdoor-Research-Zealot-Jacket-Mens.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=ODR0111&mv_pc=r126

Marmot Essence
    http://www.rei.com/product/762386
    http://www.rei.com/product/762386

How important are pit zips for rainjackets? I noticed the UL ones lack pit zips.

2. Wind shell

Marmot Ion
    http://www.rei.com/product/746595

Montbell Ultralight Wind Jacket
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/MTB0060/MontBell-America-Inc-Ultralight-Wind-Jacket-Mens.html

How breathable are these shells? Is breathability inversely related to wind resistance?

Let me know if I should consider any other options.

thanks,
    David

Carter Hunt

@thechamp

Locale: Portland, OR

I have no experience with the jackets you have listed, but here are a few more options for rain gear:

Mountain Hardwear Quark ($200, 10oz, pit zips, hand pockets, adjustable hood)

The North Face Diad ($200, 8oz, small pit zips, adjustable hood)

You can usually get them 20% off if you wait for coupons or sales.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David,

Make sure you try on the Marmot Ion before purchasing. It was my first choice for a windshell due to it's full zipper, reasonable price and performance. However, on me (6'2", 180) the shell fit is almost rediculously short. That was in my normal Large size. The XL fit better in the length, but was rather loose in other areas.

I ended up buying an OR Ion pullover that was deeply discounted on Backcountry.com. Its length was better suited to my bod, and it was a little lighter too.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

I ordered the MH Quark, but I found the hood to be HUGE. It fell over my eyes, obstructing my vision. Did anyone else experience this?

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

How's the breathability of the Marmot Ion? I am only 5'7" tall, so short would be a good thing. I like the price of this jacket, however, I'd like to hear about the Montbell windshirt I mentioned. It is listed as being under 3 oz.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Rain: Marmot Pre-Cip

Wind: Golite wind shell tops. Both Golite models can be rolled up and stuffed in your pant pockets. They also make a nice warming layer over a sweater or fleece.

A B

@sheilabaynes

Gregg White

@gewhite

Locale: WA State

I feel that it all depends on your location and what you are comfortable with I know that sounds vague but fill us in on where you hike, and we might suggest something. Also how long you go out for is something to take into consideration. Just for the record I like my GoLite Phantasm (Paclite Goretex). If it is windy and no rain I just wear less layers under it.

Dave T

@davet

Frank Deland

@rambler

Agree. PreCip is not meant for standing around in a heavy downpour, but if you are in a rain forest, aren't you in the tropics?

Dave T

@davet

A B

@sheilabaynes

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

My fave windshirt is the Montane Aero (if you can find one) or their Featherlite. They are very robust, very breathable and very windproof.

Tony Fleming
    BPL Member

@tonyfleming

Locale: Midwest

If you search the forums for Event rain wear you will find the consensus was/is the Integral Designs Thru-hiker jacket. I couldn't justify the expense and went with a paclite jacket that someone suggested from cabelas. It's was hard to beat the $100.00 price tag for a light weight GTX paclite jacket.

Tony

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ID Event rain jacket is definitely the best WPB jacket I have ever owned. It is a no frills, lightweight, superbly breathable jacket that gets the job done. Some folks prefer the Thru Hiker, and I have no quarrel with that-it wasn't available when I purchased mine. BTW, they're both on sale at Prolite Gear as of today.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd say a light eVent parka W/ a Velcro tab to keep the hood rolled up when not needed would STILL be the best way to go. Very breathable, truly waterproof (for safety), and more durable and takes up less space than two garments.

What's that UL mantra? – Multiple Use for as many items as possible.

Yes, I understand the cost of an eVent parka is far greater than a windshirt & "sprinkles" jacket. I still make-do with a GTX PacLite parka for both wind and rain.

Eric
    P.S. But someday I'll get that Integral Designs eVent Thru Hiker parka. It's almost idntical to my Cabela's PacLite parka in size but it's more breathable and 4 oz. lighter. HOWSOMEVER…at $239. on sale it's $150. more than my Cabela's PacLite parka.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

Has anybody had a good experience with the GoLite Phantom? It is on sale at Prolite Gear for $150 (link). The reader reviews seem to really like it.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools