Topic

Refuge-X: Limber lower now

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Refuge-X: Limber lower now

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Ron has done a good job of scattering his first batch of Refuge-X tents around the world. They should get a thorough workout!

First impressions are more to do with the "refuge" part of the tent rather than the "X". It may take a bit of practice to get a tight pitch with this configuration. More worrying is how low the entrance through the fly is. The zipper ends at the bottom edge of the mesh insert, meaning I basically have to crawl on my hands and knees to get in/out. That could be a hassle in wet weather for sure. The vestibule is tiny, but interior floor space is good. My first pitch had the floor laying flat on the ground. Not sure how to get the edges raised…I guess lengthening the poles might lift it a bit, as well as make it easier to get into the tent? Time will tell if those huge upward sloping vents will keep windblown and driving rain out. I wonder if there is a way to "reef" the vents down in bad weather. I'll keep you posted.

My other concern (to be tested) is that many of the seams are not re-inforced with tape. Only the seams attaching the vents to the tent body are reinforced, leaving the attachment of the rest of the fly and inner mesh without taping. I will seam-seal these, but wonder if I should also tape them as a precaution? I'm also wondering if taping the grossgrain tie-outs points is a good idea? It all adds weight, but maybe worth it in the long run.

Otherwise what can you say…a 1lb 1-2 person tent with a few minor inconveniences is a thing of awe. The cuben certainly feels tougher than I thought it would. I gave the stuff sack a few good tugs and practiced taping a seam on it too. Seems an easy fabric to work with and do field repairs on. I suspect the difficulty in getting a tight pitch is due more to the cuben fabric than the design. Although the stretch of silnylon can be a curse, it also makes getting an initially tight pitch easier compared to an inflexible fabric like cuben. With the cuben you really need to have everything dialed in just right.

BTW, the fabric is nowhere near as noisy as I thought it woul be. It's actually quite soft.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools