Topic

Tarp/Bivy Beak/Awning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tarp/Bivy Beak/Awning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Floris van Breugel

@florisvb

Hi all, I'm pretty new here, but wanted to try my hand at making some gear. I currently have a GG spinntwinn tarp and OR advanced bivy, which I both love, but I've decided there's one thing that's missing from both – an awning. So I want to try to make one awning that I can either use with my tarp to block wind/rain and for extra storage space, or my bivy as extra coverage for gear/cooking/dressing space… bivy's suck in lots of rain :(

I've got no real experience with this, so I'd really love to get some advice. Essentially what I'm thinking is a simple beak that would essentially go over the front entrance of the tarp, with a grommet for the trekking pole, and velcro dots to attach it to the tarp – there is of course the issue with what happens between the beak and the tarp, the needs to be enough overlap for protection, and cover over the grommet? That's the part I'm most unsure about.

Now, the idea with the bivy would be that I could set up the awning by itself (no tarp), with just enough room to sit up, cook in, store gear, etc. Perhaps I'm better off with 2 separate designs, but it'd be neat if I could get away with one.

Also looking to make a mosquito mesh for the tarp, like the GG one, but for the spinntwinn – two person.

I'd really appreciate any advice people might have on either of these project ideas, places to get material, similar designs, etc.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools