Topic

Gear list for Olympic coast mid-May (next week)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear list for Olympic coast mid-May (next week)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m headed out to the coast next week with a couple of friends. We’re planning to head out to Sand Point and go south to Yellow Banks or thereabouts. This will be my first lightweight trip so I’d appreciate any feedback on my gear list. My biggest concern is whether a poncho is workeable as a shelter on the coast or not. So far the weather forecast looks good, if rain looks very likely I’d probably take my 8×10 tarp for daytime shelter and to pitch over the poncho for added storm protection. This list is for 2 days and we’re not planning to cover much ground due to the full moon and very high tides. Probably 5-8 miles each day is max.

Estimated base weight is about 11lbs including 1.5lbs of camera gear (I’m not leaving that since Photography is both a hobby and work-related). Camera aside I should be under 10lbs which is at least 20lbs less than I’d have carried last year.

I’d love to hear any feedback.

– ken

Clothing Worn (5.0 lbs)
    16.9 nylon convertible pants
    17.8 trekking poles
    08.9 blue long underwear shirt
    01.4 baseball hat
    00.4 eyeglasses
    01.3 sunglasses (inc MYO reflectix case)
    02.6 hiking socks (inov-8 debris socks)
    28.2 hiking boots (inov-8 rocklite 318)
    01.4 lanyard (spyderco knife, 2 photon lights)
    00.4 mini lighter

Clothing Packed (2.4 lbs)
    12.5 cocoon pro parka
    08.5 fleece long underwear (expedition weight)
    01.8 winter hat (new windstop)
    02.3 gloves
    03.2 warm socks for sleeping
    10.7 DriDucks

Sleep system (1.8 lbs)
    21.0 golite ultra 20 (long)
    07.1 closed cell foam pad (GG nightlight)
    02.7 montbell pillow

Shelter (1.5 lbs)
    10.8 GoLite Poncho
    04.0 stakes (8 total w/ rubber band)
    02.0 guylines
    01.5 Gossamer polycro groundcloth
    00.4 extra line (18ft)
    06.1 equinox durable waterproof bivy

Kitchen (0.8 lbs)
    00.6 dr bronners soap (will probably take less)
    00.4 lexan spoon
    03.8 beer can stove
    01.3 OP sak for food (bear cannister required on coast)
    01.1 cozy made of reflectix for freezer bag cooking

First Aid / Emergency / Repair
    01.1 first aid guide &
    01.2 firestarting kit (firesteel & tinder qwik, stormproof matches, 4 candles)
    02.0 bandanna & small pack towel
    00.3 chlorine diox tablets (10L worth)
    00.4 whistle
    00.7 purell hand gel
    -TBD first aid kit (need to finish & get final weight)

Office / Navigation
    00.1 space pen
    00.4 map (trimmed)
    00.9 compass
    01.9 monocular for birdwatching
    00.5 clip clock for pack (I don't wear a watch)

Personal (0.4 lbs)
    00.6 tooth brush & powder
    00.1 floss for dental & repair
    00.9 sunscreen stick (spf 45)
    00.2 toilet paper (shop towel)
    00.9 prescription meds
    01.9 hand lotion (will reduce weight but can't leave behind)
    01.6 keys
    05.3 15x15 go set. A luxury for sure but I am looking forward to a game or two

Haulage (1.8 lbs)
    23.1 backpack (Mariposa Plus with sitlight pad)
    01.4 pack liner (gossamer gear)
    01.0 orange ditty bag for all sundries
    00.4 garbage bag(s)
    01.3 platypus 2 liter bottle/bag
    02.0 gatorade bottle

Camera (1.5 lbs)
    13.5 Canon G9
    00.7 Bubble pakit
    01.9 dessicant. For night storage. Last time at the coast my camera got too damp.
    05.9 Extra G9 batteries (3)
    00.0 Extra cards
    00.4 camera dry sack
    01.8 ultra pod mini

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the group on the suitability of a poncho for coastal camping in the Olympic National Park in Washington. What do you use when you camp at the coast?

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

If you are going this weekend, the weather looks really nice!

As a person who has done several coastal trips, the weather can be all over the map. I am interested in finding out how this works for you. It can rain very hard on the coast and wind can be an issue. I prefer going out this time of year; there aren't a lot of people out there.

With a poncho, I'd recommend keen site selection, as I would with any lightweight shelter. But I am sure you already know that. Also, don't underestimate the tides on the coast, we nearly got swamped while camping what we thought was well out of range of any waves based upon the tide tables. It sounds like the tides are higher.

Your mileage estimates are spot on. I was surprised how slow going coast travel can be, especially considering the tides.

Let us know how it goes!

Dirk

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

yes, the weather looks amazing. thanks for the reminder on site selection, i am still new to tarp camping so that's worth noting. one concern at the coast is sand, hopefully i don't have trouble getting my tarp pitched if the ground is soft. any tips or tricks for making it work? the area where we'll likely be has some sites that are back in the woods a big which will hopefully allow me to set up between a couple of sturdy trees.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

In that environment I will often take three or four 1.5 to 2 inch wood screws and stake one side of my tarp directly into a downed log (no shortage of these in ONP) using the screws. This gets you all the extra protection of the log on that one side of the tarp. Just look for the lightest weight Phillips head screw driver you can find or use a multi tool/Swiss army knife. Any medium size rock or larger stick will get the screws started and you have the tool to screw them down and back them out when done.
    I plan on being in the park this weekend as well on the Hoh. Hope the weather holds. Becareful with the tides!!

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

also keep an eye out for long narrow driftwood. IMHO nothing makes a better sand stake than a 2 foot long stick!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I spent a few days walking from the Hoh up to Cape Alava last August and I was tarp camping. I did low-mile days the same as you plan to in order to deal with tides. I found myself spending a bit of time under my tarp as the sun and rain seemed to interchange with each other almost by the hour. If you were to consider bringing a 'community tarp' for lazying away under then you should have no problem implementing a poncho as rain gear and as a shelter.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Kenneth,
    If you're gambling on good weather, that's fine… But, if it rains, you're gonna be soaked using a poncho as your raingear and shelter. My experience out there is that when it rains it rains hard, and with lots of wind. The ground's back in the trees is already soggy, the sand is pretty exposed, hard to find an optimal campsite with good drainage. Not the best place to build tarping experience with a small tarp. Unless you're real confident in the forecast, I'd bring a bigger tarp or a tarptent, or something.. Just not a poncho only…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools