Topic

Hieneken Can/Pot – 24 0z.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hieneken Can/Pot – 24 0z.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

How do you get the green, red and black paint off the keg? Do you soak or scrub? What solution do you use?

Gabriel Rice

@gabrielrice

Ive heard steel wool should do the job.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Steel Wool does indeed work, but you'll likely need to pass the time by consuming the contents of more than one can. ;)

I've buffed a few cans for aesthetics. But, in truth, they only stay pretty for a few uses with alcohol, and a single use with Esbit. Now, I just leave the paint on…

Cheers,

-Mike

Ross Polete

@rdpolete

Locale: Midwest Plain State

Skidsteer on whiteblaze uses a metal polisher attachment for mag wheels. Look there if you don't want to spend the elbow grease on the steel wool. Or you can wrap it with some fiberglass wick as Tinny at Minibulldesigns does and leave the paint on.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Use fine sandpaper before you open it, while it is rigid.
    400-600 grit works quickly enough.
    I have a cotton buffing wheel on my bench grinder that will buff it up like chrome, but it won't last long, as noted in an earlier post.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

From my limited experience it's easier to buff with the can still full.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Permatex gasket remover. Extra harsh but effective on stripping the finish off of all sorts of things. Use care.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks for the info. I will have to buy a FEW cans and start to test all your methods!!! A tough job hey.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Jay,
    A really fast, clean and non-toxic can stripper is simple wet/dry sandpaper, 180 or 220 grit, used wet under a dribbling faucet. And on full cans to avoid denting.

Elizabeth Rothman

@erothman2

Locale: Pacific NW

Why take the paint off? Just curious if there's a functional reason, or it's an aversion to advertising Heineken, or simple aesthetics.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

No reason really-just looks cleaner and plus I just enjoy projects that involve backpacking GEAR-FUN!! Current project is on my windscrean.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools