Topic

JRB no sniveller sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) JRB no sniveller sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

I am buying a new JRB no sniveller quilt, and I'm a bit confused about their sizing. The regular size is listed as being 78", which would seem long enough for my height of just under 6'. However, they suggest that you buy the large if you are over 5'10", which doesn't really seem to make sense. I can't imagine I would require a 86" quilt (!?). If anyone that has used one of these can give me some feedback that would help.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Not obvious but you lose about 8" when you tie the bottom to create the foot box. I am about 5'6" and have the long version , a few inches longer than I need but handy to temporarily put my head inside (I have to bend a bit for that) to warm up.
    Franco

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

Thanks Franco, I'll probably be going with the large. I plan on layering under this quilt for the shoulder seasons too.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Phil,

Franco has it mostly right…. Forming the foot box will take up 6-8 inches of length…. Also, the forming of the shoulder pockets and having suficient length to reach the ground beyound the shoulders is a factor (Hammockers up to 6 foot can get by with a regular length…. because the hammock rises beyound the shoulders to meet the top quilt where the ground does not…)

Also some folk at 5-11 to 6-0 feel they can use a regular…. However, their sleep style may be more open and or they may actually pull up on the footend and actually compress the foot box loft in doing so…. The practical limit of the No Sniveller for ground dwellers is 5-10.

Pan,

PS If you have not noticed JRB's Trail Days sale is again open to all, via the web, and the No Sniveller is $ 40 off….regular and long.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Can't beat the advice from the makers (and users as it is with most "cottage" manufacturers)…
    For the extra few ounces it's hard to go wrong getting the long one. I move around a lot during my sleep so the extra bit is nice.
    BTW, the loft is pretty accurate if not a bit conservative.
    Another reason why I have this quilt is to use it in winter as a layer under my generous cut rain jacket (makes me look like a blimp,but very warm) and as a top bag for my Ultralite sleeping bag. I figure that it is more versatile than a heavier bag and a down jacket combo.
    For the three seasons it has replaced the WM highlite. The JRB is heavier but so much nicer for my style of sleeping. Works well as a serape at dinner time.
    Maybe you should consider getting the hood as well. I wish I had .
    Franco

Alan Hughes
    Spectator

@natchez

Locale: South

I am 5 11 and 1/2 I use a regular and can not see why I would need it any longer. I can stick my head under it. Franco has great advice (he is the man) you might want a long. I normally by long sleeping bags but have not needed it at all with this quilt. I have had mine a year I also have the down to earth converter. Now I want the Rocky MT Version as I can not push mine in a hammock much past 30. On the ground I have been in it a 20. I wish they where on sale!

Every Blessing

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Alan, at best my oppinion is just that, but thanks….
    Pan, apart from making them, would have a much better idea (from customer's feedback) than anyone else.
    But I am glad you have the Down To Earth converter. Naming that has been my only sensible contribution to JRB, so far.
    Also keep in mind that I have this idea to use it as an overbag.
    Franco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools