Topic

esbit stove/titanium stakes….windscreen/pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear esbit stove/titanium stakes….windscreen/pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

A UL esbit stove design I like, is one I saw while on gossamergear.com not in the gear shop but in the extremely ultralight resource link.

go to this link and on the second page there is a picture of glens cooking gear click on it and zoom in. from the picture you could tell how to make your own stove with stake pot support.

also note the ues of a foam pad as a windscreen

Bernard Shaw

@be_here_nowearthlink-net

Locale: Upstate New York

Thanks this is such a good idea. I am planning on modifying a BPL titanium foil windscreen for stake support. I may need to reinforce it by using having the holes be fairly tight so the stakes actually reinforce the foil structurally.

Evan

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

here is that picture

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

You could save lots of weight by using your titanium to make an esbit burner/pot support combination. I don’t know if the windscreen titanium is strong enough for this. I’ve only used flashing. In aluminum, it weighs 0.2 oz. The legs fit INSIDE the rim of the Heineken can. That works just fine. It is illustrated here with a Sterno can pot.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

This is just a rectangle 1 1/2″ wide and 6 1/2″ long (to fit the Heineken can. For larger pots, use a longer rectangle), cut, folded and rivetted. You can see the proportions in the photos. The cuts stop 1/2″ above the bottom. The folds are every 2″, leaving a 1/2″ tab to overlap and rivet. The tabs left from shaping the legs are folded to the inside where they overlap are trimmed, drilled and rivetted along with the tray to hold the esbit tablet. Use 2 rivets to join the overlap.

The disadvantage of this burner is that it needs a firm base. A disk of sturdy foil such as cookie sheet at a minimum.

Erich Foster

@erichlf

I made one of those beer can wind screens and pots. The beer cn that holds the esbit tab will eventually melt if using a Foster’s beer can. I have been looking for a Heineken 24 oz can to try this with, but for some reason I cannot find one anywhere.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Any beer can will melt with Esbit. Even Heineken.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

> Any beer can will melt with Esbit. Even Heineken.

? I’ve used my Heine pot at least a half-dozen times with Esbit and it shows no damage, except a bit of baked-on crud (Esbit stinks…). Have you actually melted through a Heine pot (with water in it)?

Erich Foster

@erichlf

i was refering to it melting throught the windscreen. My pot seems to be perfectly fine.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

12sss5I tried to test it.
    I did a method I folded a metal plate, and to repeat to add to heat-resistant strength.
    Strength increased, too, and it was born heat from a stove.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Origami! Very nice.

greg degler

@gregdegler

Locale: West

those last 2 posts gave me quite a laugh, thanks guys.
    gKd
    NH

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Greg,

Just in case you are unfamiliar with some year-old Threads, Yamakawa-san is serious. He creates some truly excellent stove designs which are also, in a sense, works of art (the classic Japanese approach to all things, i.e. creating beautiful art while maintaining practicality and functionality).

Yamakawa-san’s stoves also often have intricate flame patterns (sometimes cyclonic in nature). Some of his designs allow the stove to also function as a pot support. I believe that is the function of the regal “crown” appearance.

Unless i’m mistaken, Yamakawa-san may be using a translation program to translate his kanji into english. [Perhaps Miguel, if his schedule allows for such, could exchange emails with him and provide this service.]

My friend Dale, on the other hand, was being humorous and gave me a good laugh too. Thanks Dale.

greg degler

@gregdegler

Locale: West

PJ,
    I'm out West now, months later, just read this. Thanks for the good info. And, you take an impressive picture.
    g.KentDegler

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Kent, thanks for the compliment on my pic. It is, however, of my ugly side. I wish, though, that it was of my "good side" – which is actually found on the opposite side, a bit over half-way down!

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

PJ – thank you!
    I want to share with many people what has light goods and rich originality. I does not understand English well.Machine translation is used. Regrettably a mistake may occur in rare cases.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like B.L.'s Ti folding Esbit "stove", especially when used with an REI windscreen & circular ground reflector/protector W/ 3 slots to recieve the stove legs. I've replaced the stove's weak "pivot rivet" with a tiny bolt, washer & nut. Totally bombproof now.

Also my Vargo Triad EX stove base works well with TWO Esbit or FireLite tabs when I need more heat in cold weather.

Beer can Esbit stoves are just too fragile and "iffy" for me.

Eric

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools