Topic

Idaho Mt Borah Area?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Idaho Mt Borah Area?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I have the opportunity for a 3 to 5 day trip in the Mt Borah area. I would like to include a climb of Borah in a possible loop.

Any ideas?

Bears?

Thanks

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Judging by the descriptions at SummitPost it looks like a great peak. I would estimate that considering the peak's proximity to the Yellowstone ecosystem it is still well within grizzly country. This is all hearsay as I've not visited the Borah Roadless Area myself. I estimate it will be a quality excursion as Idaho is home to some wonderful country.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

No need to worry about Grizzly Bears in the Mt. Borah region. The peak is considered a long one day climb from the nearest roadhead. One very exposed section near the summit. Class 2-3.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I am looking at the Lost River Range Traverse. Dave, do you know what the snow conditions are? Am I going to need snowshoes, ice axe?

I have about 5 days to kill. Sam, don't say Grizzly to loud, the word makes me nervous.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Thanks for chiming in, Dave as I was getting pretty speculative there. This photo below from May of 2007 may be of some insight into the status of the peak in May. According to my sources this climb is typically accomplished in late summer. I'm sure Dave could comment on this as well as he is much more local than I.

Mt. Borah, Idaho

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools