Topic

Caloric density

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

I'm trying to round up a bunch of ultralight food. What's the best calorie per unit mass food you can think of? So far I've got peanut butter and olive oil.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

all the oils and fats will be the highest. but palatability is important too

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I'm curious as to the answer too, but I imagine you have to factor in what it does to your stomach. You need carbs for energy. Sugar is probably very efficient, but I don't think you would want to eat that all day. I think you would be in a lot of pain pretty quickly. You probably need to get some protein in your diet too (although I'm not sure how long you can function without a decent amount of protein — three days, a week?). Also, if you radically change your fiber content, that might make for unpleasant trip. I'm not sure if anyone has written much about "ultralight eating". Most of what I've read has said the same sort of thing (fats have twice the calories per ounce than protein or carbohydrates, carry so many calories per day, etc.).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

My menu lately: ~ 3,000 calories/day

Breakfast- dry granola cereal, dried apples, +/- almond m&m's
    Morning snack- almond snickers
    Lunch- packet of ritz crackers/peanut butter, granola bar, dried cherries
    Afternoon snack- baby ruth
    Dinner- ramen noodles, meat packet, skittles

Packing- this all fits into a quart freezer bag.

Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

Olive oil is especially high in the calories:weight ratio and I have read of people who actually drink it on the trail!

However, it was not palatable to me in big doses and I prefer butter which has a somewhat lower calories:weight ratio.

This just reinforces the idea that weight is super-important when backpacking light, but it's not everything when backpacking right. As said so well above: you have to balance lightness with what your body can actually handle.

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

There's been numerous posts regarding energy bars and lots of positive comments about Bear Valley Meal Pack bars having the highest calorie per weight ratio. 3 oz = 420 calories. I've since incorporated them into my hiking diet and find them to be palatable and wholesome. Check out the product review section for more info.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Margaret….due to my braces I have so far lost some of my fattiest foods I used to eat – nuts and potato chips so far are no goes. I also cannot eat most energy bars as well.

So? Yep…olive oil and butter. I don't eat much PB unless in meals. Now PB slathered on pasta is good stuff. Add in some sesame oil and seasoning? Heaven.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ross

> Sugar is probably very efficient
    Actually, no. It can give you a very fast hit of energy, but the calorie content is far less than a more complex carbo such as flour or oats, and less again compared to fats.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Sugar, like all carbs, is less efficient per weight (carbs = 4 cal/gram, protein 4 cal/gram, and fats 9 cal/gram). But if the moisture and fiber content is low (as I assume it is) then it is a rather efficient carb. The only problem is, like you said, that it is a simple sugar, and thus will give you a spike of energy and then fade quickly. I think that is why it can upset your stomach if you eat too much. But that doesn't mean it isn't efficient. So far as I can tell, table sugar is pretty much all carb (no fiber, no moisture) in that it is close to 4 cal/gram:

http://www.annecollins.com/calories/calories-sugar.htm

By the way, this chart (which I've seen repeated many times on the web) doesn't add up:

Table Sugar, 1 level teaspoon (4g) 15
    Table Sugar, 1 heaped teaspoon (6g) 25

15/4 = 3.75 while 25/6 = 4.166 (obviously there is some rounding going on here). Anyway, my point is — if you just looked at the numbers (these numbers) you would say that table sugar is a very efficient way to get your carb calories. I think we both know that wouldn't be a good idea, even if it is efficient.

Oh, and these: http://www.kendal.mintcake.co.uk/ are almost all sugar and they were on the first successful Everest expedition. Despite that success record, I wouldn't recommend too many of those.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I have decided that avocados are my new hiking food. Yeah, heavy as all get out but ooh-la-la! I did though successfully dry guacamole. So even better.
    The only thing that blows is packing out the pits and peels, but hey, I won't whine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Margaret,
    You might want to consider nuts. Most of them are in the ~170-200 cal/oz range and give you a lot of variety, taste-wise. Also chocolate, especially that with a >70% cacao content; it will usually yield 160-200 cal/oz depending on other ingredients, e.g. sugar, milk, added for palatability.
    Also, as Roman mentioned, butter. Clarified butter, an Indian product also known as "ghee", is worth investigating, too. It has the added advantages over conventional butter of storing well at room temperature and yielding more calories/oz since it is pure butter fat. This is because the milk solids(milk sugars and protein) in the regular butter from which it is made have been removed during processing to render it shelf stable. It was invented in India long before there was refrigeration. The flavor is rich and has a pleasant "nutty" taste. You can find it in Indian groceries and many Middle Eastern groceries as well.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Margaret, I was thinking…I have found Ghee done organically in the past couple months, it is also very easy to do at home. Not sure if I posted it here or not, but it is on the website under the spice section on how to do it. Once you make it, it is shelf stable for a long time – and all you have to do is get organic butter.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I think if you average over 130 to 140 cal/oz for all your food you are doing pretty well. I don't carry anything that doesn't go at least 100 cal/oz, and as others have pointed out, certain items can hit 200 cal/oz.

Personally, I need a little fiber to keep it real, but perhaps you can persist on straight oil and creamy peanut butter.

Ryan Jordan has previously posted some high calorie density food lists ~ try doing a search on his personal blog, or maybe check what gear list is on his profile right now. I recall seeing his food for an Absaroka thru-hike last fall.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

I never tire of salted peanuts.

My newest addition is peanut butter-stuffed pretzels.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

From my menu. I don't eat a lunch per se – I snack every 2 hours (5 times at 500 cals each between breakfast and dinner. Here are a few examples of what I mix and match.

Snickers bar………….138 cals/oz
    Kingsize Payday bar……121 cals/oz
    Peanut M&Ms…………..144 cals/oz
    Crushed Pringles Chips…160 cals/oz
    Cashews………………170 cals/oz

WHOLE Pringles also burn furiously and double as an emergency firestarter

Olive oil yields 130 calories per Tablespoon (1/2 fluid ounce). Add it to your dinner to help it "slide" down.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Oh, and these: http://www.kendal.mintcake.co.uk/ are almost all sugar and they were on the first successful Everest expedition. Despite that success record, I wouldn't recommend too many of those.

They do actually contain a fair bit of nuts as well as egg white.

But I entirely agree: don't recommend them to anyone. That way there will be some left for me.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

My MIL sent me a couple red package ones last week. Sooooo good ;-)
    My MIL called today and I told her she needs to be bringing back BOXES of them in all flavors. Lol!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools