Topic

ultralight cook kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ultralight cook kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

many people lately have been using old fosters and heineken beer cans for their cooking pots, well thats not an option for me because I am a minor and neither of my parents drink. so being determined to find another option,I browsed the asiles of the grocery store looking for an alternitive. I came across a 24oz energy drink can, this inspired me. I wasent sure if it would fit my V8 “elite” stove so I bought it and when I got home grabbed the stove and it fit perfectly into the ridges on the bottom, thank heavens. In adition to my.6oz pot and .2oz sotve, I also bring a windscreen cut from a large pie tin,(.2oz)a mini bic lighter,(.4oz)an 8oz water bottle for feul,(.5oz)a KFC (kentucky fried chicken) spork,(.1oz)leaving me with a total of 2oz (with a little practice, I got it all,including the feul bottle to fit in the now 16oz can.) If you have any suggestions I am open to comments

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

no suggestions. this old man is learning something from you. you are wise beyond your years. i’m gonna’ cruise the aisles looking for an energy drink can too. thanks for sharing your insight.

BTW, your review comments on alc. stove were right on. i had suspected the reason for the other person’s stove extinguishing was due to not allowing it to preheat sufficiently before setting the pot on it.

so,… you make your own stoves – very good. keep it up. if you haven’t done so already, try your hand at sewing some gear. maybe one day we’ll all be buying gear from your own company.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

nice to be able to share my ideas with you, by the way I cut the can about 61/4 – 61/2 inches from the bottom, and before opening the can I took off the paint using a steel wool pad. I used an 8×8 peice of foil folded into 4×4 for lid. You can also use Arizona iced tea or fruit juice cans or any can for that matter,I just recomend grabbing a red bull can and try fitting into the botom ridges, by the way my name is Ryan I got this subscription from my mom as a gift I will be changing my account info shortly

Ryan

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Ryan…hmm….maybe we have another Ryan Jordan in the making? you have the right name for it!! take care & thanks again for sharing.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Well I hope one day I will be as experienced as him. his super ultralight gear philosiphy inspired me to pair my gear kit down to sub 4 pounds for a three season trip. I am not quite finished with my gear list but I am getting close

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ryan,

What do you need to complete your gear list?

FastWalker

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Roger

I have written all I plan to buy and the total weight is about 3.8 – 3.9lbs and have most of it and after christmas probably all, it is just a matter of money.
    I have posted my gear plan in the SUL gearlist thread in gear lists if you want to check it out an make suggestions

Ryan

Anonymous

To me the biggest issue is…that can is probably fragile and would require care in handling and packing. With more and more using the cookpot to only heat water, you could use any aluminum can that would fit a stove.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

what I did to keep the pot from getting crushed was load up small items like a fleece hat and gloves and after some practice found a way to put my stove lighter fuel bottle and windscreen into the pot to help it keep its shape.

All I use it for is to rehydrate deydrated meals and cook ramen.
    you could also heat water for drinks and cook oatmeal in a plastic bag.Ive never had them but ive heard of instant mashed potatoes.

for any thing I am not just boiling water for I bring my snowpeak 600 mug

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Its been a wile since I looked at this thread, but I found out how to post pictures so I thought I should post some of my cook kits

P.S. I have been using this cook kit for about 4 months now without failure or problem

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

here is a picture of my home made pot and home made stove (elite design)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

here is my lighter, stove, and spork at the bottom of the pot

if you roll the wind screen around the bottle and pu the top of the bottle in the stove openning it will fit nicely

here is what I bring when only boiling 8oz of water

a mini zen stove with extension

any other cooking I do I use a snow peak 600 mug

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Ryan,

How much fuel do you need to boil a pint of water?

I’ve tried using side burner stoves (minibull elite and minibull stealth) on narrow beercan pots and while I can get it to work I need at least 1 oz of fuel to get a pint to boil, thus kind of negating the light weight of the stove/beercan combo.

Cheers

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

It takes me 1oz to boil as well but I usually only use 1/2oz because it is enough to heat the water to warm a deydrated meal.

these kinds of pots do improve feul efficiency because of the thin material, the heat is able to transfer through faster and boil the water quicker, also because they are narrow the flame spreads out to the sides and covers more surface area.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools