Topic

“Tell in on the Mountain” & “Onward” PCT Videos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web “Tell in on the Mountain” & “Onward” PCT Videos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I ordered two PCT videos last March (a year ago), but still haven't received them yet. In fact, they now post a July 25, 2008 ship date for "Tell in on the Mountain" and "Onward: Journey Along the Crest."

These videos looked interesting, with "Onward" documenting Scott Williamson's yo-yo hike. Obviously, I'm disappointed, and am starting to wonder if I'll ever see them or if I should see about getting my money back.

Has anyone else ordered these videos, or know anything about this?

Thanks,
    Tom

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I've been watching their website since they first posted their trailer. They have been slipping the shipping date since before you ordered yours and have done so ever since. I can see slipping the date by a quarter once or twice. But to have done so several times for over a year says to me that they have no clue when this will be done.

I own every DVD released about the PCT. However, I would never pre-pay on a pre-order based only on a "projected" shipping date from someone with no track record. In fact, when you go to order, they specifically state "there are no guarantees on delivery time." So I've waited to see a notice saying we are done and ready to ship. I'm sure they must have some excellent footage, but they seem to be having trouble deciding that this is good enough and releasing it. The fact that they added a trailer labeled "fundraising trailer" makes me wonder if they are having money trouble and that is causing even more delay.

If it was me, I'd try and get my money back and then re-order once they have officially released it. When/if they do finish, I'll be quick to order my own copy.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I, too, ordered both DVDs shortly after the project was announced. I saw Scott Williamson show some footage at the PCT conference up in Seattle more than a year ago

I've been disappointed by the numerous delays as well, and I have written the project leaders of this endeavor. To their credit, they responded to my missive. I sincerely believe they have every intention of getting the project out, but like most people, they have jobs that do get in the way. I do agree that the announce-date-and-push-back game isn't the ideal way of handling this, but as anyone who ever edited video footage would tell you, it takes a tremendous amount of time.

From the latest postings on vimeo, the website hosting their video samples, the project leaders did suggest that the movies would finally come out this summer. I made the suggestion that they be plaintive as possible and periodically send out email/website updates so those of us who plunked down the money could get some idea of when to expect a release. Personally, I am willing to continue the waiting game, only if for no other reason than the footage I've seen looks very promising.

Dirk

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I have sent them a note asking what the situation is. I hope to hear more than the editing is taking longer than expected, since that was the messsage the previous time the date was expected. Does anyone know if they are working on both at the same time, or plan to release each as they care completed?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Still no response from them. Anyone else have any luck in confirming the status of these videos?

Dave T

@davet

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Yeah, if the July date goes by, then I will.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I got some information back from Shaun at "Tell it on the Mountain" about the status of the two videos. While it wasn't what I was hoping to hear, it was enough for me to wait a little long. However, if you haven't ordered yet, I would suggest that you wait until I have received mine DVD's and I'll let you know what I think.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

New date is Nov. 25. Hope it happens before the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

I feel your frustration. Had I known the project would miss its original projected date by more than 18 months, I would have probably waited. I am happy to financially support long-term projects that do benefit the hiking community as whole, but it is also reasonable to expect better communication. Rather than re-post the expected date every two to three months, why not provide a more substantive update as to the status of the project? It doesn't have to be long – a paragraph or two would suffice.

To me, as this is a labor of love, I would more readily accept that the delays and missed projection dates if the project managers were only more forthcoming with information.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

The folks over at TellItOnTheMountain.com announced that the release of their PCT Movies again have been delayed, this time till late February.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

WOW…Feb! This is frustrating. I wish they would work on 1 video to get something out the door, although I'd hate to think that we'd have another long wait.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Check the dates on this string. The video has been delayed again until March 2010! I noticed that they even removed the Scott Williamson DVD from the list, and just have the other PCT video for sale. I was encouraged when they had a showing of the PCT video at Trail Days last May, but they have taken another step backward.

I got refunded through paypal, but have been very disappointed with the repeated delays of projected ship dates. I would suggest that you stay away from this until they have actually shipped any videos.

I do hope they finish both videos, and I'll buy them, but until then…

Dave T

@davet

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

It looks cool on the trailer. I heard about this some time ago just shocked it hasn't come to light yet.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Could hardly believe it when I saw it.Tell It on the Mountain Premier

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

James,
    I just saw that too. I sent Shaun a note asking about my copy (for both videos). I am hoping that since the PCT organization is promoting it, that it really is completed. I'll believe it when I am watching it…until then, I suggest holding onto your money.

Does anyone have additional information on this??

Tom

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I can't wait to watch.

:)

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I got my copy of the video six years after ordering it. It has been frustrating, but I must say that I'm very happy with the result. Shaun & Lisa sent me my copy of "Tell it on the Mountain," along with an extra copy and a refund check for their other video "Onward"…very classy move that I really appreciated. The "Onward" video was to chronicle Scott Williamson's PCT yo-yo, but they decided to combine the footage for that video into the "Tell in on the Mountain" video.

The video was really well done and included thru-hiker filmed clips with interviews and some great scenic footage. One of the bonus features included Scott Williamson talking about his gear. That guy is lightweight AND cheap! I hadn't realized that on earlier PCT hikes he had not used a sleeping pad.

I really enjoyed it, and encourage others to order it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools