Topic

Intro to Lightweight Backpacking Class/Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Intro to Lightweight Backpacking Class/Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Backpacking Light, in affiliation with the Outdoor Pursuits program at North Idaho College will offer an introductory class this week:

Learn about lightweight techniques and equipment with BPL Senior Editor, Mike Martin. The classroom portion will cover lightweight clothing, shelter, sleep, packing, hydration and cooking systems to get your base weight (everything in the pack but food and water) down below 10 pounds. The field portion will be an easy overnight hike along the snow-free scenic Snake River canyon. This course is intended for beginners, though some prior hiking experience is recommended.

Cost: $25

Classroom: Wednesday, April 30, 5:30pm to 7:30pm. Meet at the Outdoor Pursuits office on the lower level of the Student Union Building, North Idaho College, Coeur d'Alene, ID.

Field: Saturday, May 3 through Sunday, May 4. Time TBD.

Lightweight Equipment from Backpacking Light and Outdoor Pursuits will be available for rental.

The field portion of this class is limited to 7 students, so pre-class signup is required — first come, first served.

For additional details, please respond to this thread below or email me via my forum profile.

michael montagne
    BPL Member

@montagne

Perfect for me but I would need more than a few hours notice. Do another one sometime.

-mjm

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Yah. Sorry for the short notice. It's been on the NIC Outdoor Pursuits Calendar for for a while, but slipped through the cracks here. If there is a lot of interest, we'll definitely offer more of these kind of classes/trips…with more advance notice. :)

The intent is to offer a taste of BPL's Wilderness Trekking I Course, but on a smaller scale (and starving-student budget).

Cheers,

-Mike

Timothy Gossler

@timgossler

I'd be interested too. I only live 15 miles from NIC – would've been great if I had known sooner. Looking forward to another class.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools