Topic

Packs with stays

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packs with stays

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Todd Homchick

@upricon

Locale: San Gabriel Mountains

I would like to get input on what are the best choices for a pack with stays that is big enough to accomodate a bear canister. I see so much discussion on this sight about gear weight. I feel like I can never get my gear weight down to anywhere near what some of these weights are being listed at because I am required to carry a bear canister in the area I backpack in. My canister weighs almost 2lbs. itself. Any pack with stays that is big enough to carry a bear can itself is going to weigh between 3-4 lbs. That puts me at a minimuim of 5lbs. just for the pack and the bear can which is a weight that some people are listing as their total weight before food and water. So what are the best choices for the lightest weight pack with stays that can carry a Bearikade Weekender bear canister?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

From personal experience–The ULA P-2 (just under 3 #) will (inside).
    Gossamer Gear’s Mariposa will (niftilly strapped on top of the pack) — 17 Oz.
    Both of these are great packs–P-2 is really capacious( like 4000+ cu. in.

I’m sure there are others—ok gang, chime in.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Have all three that you listed and all are fantastic packs for different useage. I use my P2 as my snowshoe/cross country skiing pack, the P1 for trips that require some space in the pack, and my Mariposa for overnighters and such. All three are real worthy packs to purchase.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Todd, I suspect that most of the users on this site don’t backpack in areas that cannisters are required (that is just a quess), thus the lower base weights. As for me, Yosemite and SEKI are my stomping grounds and of course a cannister is required. I used a Bearvault weekender that weighs in at 30 oz. and is smaller than a regular cannister. I have used this with a 3000 ci pack for a weeks trip. I have also used the Bearvault in a ULA P2 and had plenty of space to store more gear if needed.

Another way of getting around the cannsiter issue is going where there is no cannister required. I go to Hoover Wilderness and other parts of the Sierra’s that don’t require a cannister.

Now for your packweight would you mind listing what you use so that some of us can take a look at what your bringing? Maybe some helpful suggestions can pare your weight down to the 10-12 lbs baseweight level.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Ken, I didn’t mention the P-1 ( which I own & love)
    because it doesn’t have full length stays or framesheet—but why not. When I carry loads over 20 lbs. in this pack ( which means I have a tent along) I use some or all of the tent poles wrapped within my torsolite or foam pad to create virtual frame stays–very comfortably and effectively,too.

In the Hoover Wilderness, I either bear bag a la PCT
    or take along an ursack. No problems since forever.
    I hear rumors, though, that canisters may be required as soon as next year to conform with Yosemite rules.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Bear cannister in Hoover would be a bummer, but I can understand it with the close proximity that Hoover has with Yosemite. I wonder if Emmigrant will follow sutie too.

Oh Kevin, after reading your post I noticed that you did not mention the P1. Oh well, you are right, just throw it in. The 1/4 length stays to a good job. Too bad that Brian did not take the Mariposa design, ie sleeping pad in a pocket on the outside for the P1. It might actually perform better with that design and 1/2 length stays and still keeping the weight to a minimum.

Todd Homchick

@upricon

Locale: San Gabriel Mountains

Gear list

McHale PopCan 61.00
    1 bandana 1.00
    capilene lightweight thermal bottoms 6.50
    extra socks and liners 2.90
    glove liners 2.10
    Marmot Chinook jacket 3.80
    Montane featherlight pants 3.50
    Montbell U.L. down vest liner 4.60
    Moonstone Cirrus pullover 12.90
    O.R. lobster GTX rain mitts 1.60
    O.R.windstopper fleece cap 2.10
    Rainshield rain jacket 6.00
    alcohol fuel bottle 1.50
    Brasslite alcohol stove 1.20
    butane lighter 0.04
    container of herbs 0.04
    container of maple syrup 0.70
    container of salt 0.30
    platypus bottle with cap 1.50
    Platypus water bladder with hose 3.40
    pot cozy 1.00
    Snowpeak solo cookset 5.90
    Snowpeak titanium spork 1.50
    windscreen 1.60
    1st aid kit 6.20
    bug juice 1.80
    essentials stuff sack 0.30
    extra batteries 0.50
    firestarter 0.70
    headlamp 2.10
    maps 1.50
    signal mirror 0.40
    sunglasses in case 2.10
    Suunto compass 1.60
    Bearikade bear canister 29.10
    credit card, cash, CDL 0.70
    digital camera 9.00
    Golite pack liner 0.50
    headnet 2.20
    Personal Hygiene 7.70
    toilet kit 5.00
    Hammock underquilt 20.00
    Nunatak backcountry blanket 32.00
    Hammock tarp, stakes in stuff sack 18.90
    Hennesey Hammock with snakeskins 29.40
    Total weight 18.60 lbs

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Todd, where and when would you be employing your gearlist? I assume you want us all to critique it and save you a few pounds.
    You have a number of consumables on your list which I would sub-category as such and deduct from the hard goods and what you are wearing ( as opposed to carrying) to establish the “base weight” which is sorta the working convention on this board.

Ken, good news, the word is that Brian (of ULA) is working on a prototype SL pack w/ stays for Ryan and BMW.
    Hopefully it will be more rugged than the Mariposa
    while staying at a similar weight or below. Brian and Glen (of GG) have their own unique take on things so I expect it to be quite different from the
    Mariposa.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Yeah I heard that too. It will be interesting to see what comes about from this.

One or actually two packs with stays would also be Six Moon Designs. Both packs with stays and weigh in at 32 oz. or so or less.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

The Six Moon Designs Starlite pack has removable stays and weighs 28 oz. (23 oz without the stays). It will hold a bearvault horizontally, so a bearikade weekender should be no problem. I believe there is a review of an older version of the pack (the moonlite) here on BPL. It’s comfy and has nice features. I like it.

-Roy-

Jonathan Chiappa
    BPL Member

@chiappaj

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I pretty recently completed the John Muir trail with a Mariposa. I carried a Garcia, with 9 days of food, inside the pack (not on top) and had no problems. Not that I liked carrying a bear cannister but the set up worked well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools