Topic

31 gram Pertex Quantum Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 31 gram Pertex Quantum Vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

31 gram – 1.09 ounce Pertex Quantum Vest

I am working on a set of "Ultra" – "Super Ultra Light" gear to support a "hot" weather hike. I had some Pertex Quantum (PQ) scrap left over from a sleeping bag project and sewed the pieces together. I have wondered about using PQ for a hiking vest, shirt and a pair of shorts for some time now. The scrap looked big enough for a vest like garment.

The scrap PQ was Black but if I decide this works I have a couple of other colors to use that might be cooler.

The PQ vest uses a simple to make "pull-over" design. The tan shorts are for contrast.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Bill, awesome! I'm not a vest guy, but I can only imagine what a long sleeved (wind) shirt would come in at!

Is that a single layer of PQ, or did you double it up?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the interest.

I am thinking about making a set of removable sleeves and I believe that they will only add a bit less than 1 additional ounce.

The Black one is made out of one layer of 1.03 ounce a square yard (Japanese Mill) Pertex Quantum. I am thinking of using a light blue 0.9 ounce a square yard (UK Mill) Pertex Quantum for the final version.

Nathan Auck
    BPL Member

@auckjam

Locale: Wasatch

I'll be interested to hear about some field testing. How does PQ feel when it gets wet against your skin? My windshirt is just 1.1 oz nylon and it does ok with nothing under it, but is definitely a lot more comfortable when I have another shirt under it. Have you tested the difference in breathability vs. 1.1oz? How about moisture mngt.? Great design and, as always, innovative thought process. Well done!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

It would really be nice if the "Subject Line" of a Thread was not changed. When someone changes the Thread subject line – Threads get lost or are almost impossible to follow after a few days.

If the "Forums" programing here was anything but "Pure Crap" they might have written a "default" to keep that from happening. We are not that lucky and this is but one of several really bad features of the Forums.

==

Hi Nathan, Thanks for your interest and comments.

To your question:

I wore the Pertex Quantum (PQ) vest, without anything under it, this afternoon for a 2 mile walk. I seldom do that but I wanted to see how it would react next to my skin. It was 72 degrees out and slightly overcast. I was in a light breeze for part of my walk. The PQ did a good job blocking the wind except when I turned my side into it and let the breeze blow in the arm pit openings. I don't think that would happen with a pack on. I also think the The Black color picked up a bit of heat that a lighter color may not have. I didn't get hot but my skin was just moist to the touch when I got home. I believe that if the PQ was not such a good Breathable material I would have been wet to the touch and not just a bit moist. I have a Patagonia Dragonfly that I can try to compare it to the PQ with but I think that PQ blocks wind better.

As our temperatures go up I will try to determine how the PQ feels against my skin. I can tell you that I have tested some of my VB gear up to 65 degrees to see what that was like and I would have been wet inside them if I didn't have a bunch of venting options. As it was, I was able to could control my body heat by the built in vents.

Someday soon I will make a hiking shirt and pants out of light silk. If they work out they would be my normal warm weather hiking clothes and should work really well under something made out of PQ.

Pertex Quantum is my material of choice for anything that needs to light and breathable. I have it so I use it. If I didn't have the PQ I expect I would try Momentium 90.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Bill,
    I agree with your comments Re changing thread titles, it does make then hard to find at times.

Where did you pickup the 0.9 ounce a square yard (UK Mill) Pertex Quantum? I am making a 2 person bivy and want to make the top out of it? Do you think it would hold up or should I go with the thicker verson?
    Your projects have inspired me to try to MYOG.

Thanks,
    Mike

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Mike,
    I have had this 0.9 ounce per square yard Pertex Quantum since 2004. I was able to buy a 5 yards each of 3 different colors from someone that was making some PQ prototypes for testing and had some left over.

About 2 years ago I again got a bit lucky and was able to buy some more, two different colors. The newer PQ was some made at the Japanese Mill and weighs 1.03 ounces per square yard.

Pertex dose not allow their material to be sold at retail but it does show up from time to time in small amounts.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I am making a Silk Vest using the Pertex Quantum Vest as my pattern. I have it cut out, pinned up and it is ready to sew.

The Silk material for the vest weighs less than 1 ounce.

If it fits and I like it I will dye it some light color and make a set of detachable sleeves. This is the same type of Silk I used for my Kilt / Balloon Bed.

Cutting the Silk.

Pinned up and ready to sew.

Hem – Pin detail.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

It is about 8 pm Sunday night. I just returned from a 2 mile walk. The temperature is 58 degrees (F), a good cool breeze blowing and overcast.

I was wearing my Patagonia #2 Merino Hoody but did not wear the hood. I was wearing my new Pertex Quantum (PQ) vest over it. I did not have anything on under the #2 Merino Hoody.

The PQ vest does a really great job blocking the wind. When I was sheltered from the cool breeze I could really tell the difference. Out of the wind I did not get hot but It did make me think about adding a zipper to the front of the vest for venting. I have a few #3 coil "YKK" 2-way separating zippers and I will weigh one and see how much it would add to the weight of the vest.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Bill –

Does the silk provide U.V. protection? If not then the option to simply hike shirtless should be considered. Unless there is another value for the shirt that I am missing. Either way it's nice to see another project coming from your workshop.

– Sam

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Sam,

I found several references to silk having UV value but no specific numbers. I also found a reference to darker colors having a higher UV value than lighter colors and wet material having a higher number than dry fabric.

With that I decided to dye my silk black and sweat a lot to keep the silk damp.

It might take someone like Richard to give us a more complete answer.

I don't hike "shirt-less" for several reasons – my Doctors told me to be a little more careful out in the sun and to wear a hat. Before that it was – bugs – now I guess the second reason would be bugs.

Hiking on a trail system such as the AT where you are in the trees a lot I don't think I would worry to much about the UV value of a silk shirt / vest / pants. I could be wrong about that.

When it gets really hot here I may run a non-scientific test such as putting a spot of a strong sun-block on my skin and then wearing a silk shirt to lay in the sun for awhile. Then see if there is any difference in skin color around the place where I put the sun-block.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Thank you, Bill. I offered up my comments more for the sake of theoretical discussion than in seriousness. I'm sure we've discussed the notion of hiking naked as a means of ultimately reducing the weight of clothing here on BPL at sometime in the past.

A shirt of most any fabric will offer some amount of UV protection and will certainly have added benefit of keeping off the bugs. The vest design you've opted for will keep ventilation at a maximum (most necessary if you opt for Pertex), weight at a minimum and style at a… well, we won't comment on fashion here.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Sam,

I just finished the first Silk Vest. It weighs 0.92 ounces and fits fine. When I get a chance I will dye it Black.

I was going to wear it tonight for my walk but it may be to cool (70 degrees F). I may wear the vest but carry a light shirt just in case I get cool. It is 6 pm and sunny.

NOTE ADDED: The Silk Vest was fine by itself. Even In the direct sun with a nice breeze blowing it was OK.

There are a few things I don't worry about when it comes to hiking. One of them is "fashion".

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Picture added:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools