Topic

New Pack Name Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Pack Name Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

What do you think of ARK for a pack name? Other suggestions? -It's may be time to rename and update the Zip.
    Any design tweak suggestions for the Zip?
    Thanks

Valentin Zill

@valentin-zill

Locale: Europe

Hi Ron,

since you already offer the "Revelation" and the "Prophet", what about "Priest"? ;-)

Valentin

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I remember seeing the name Zip and thinking it was a panel loader with a zipper. The change might be good, at least for me!

I agree- stick to the theme. How about the Zen, or the Messiah? Enlightenment? Ha!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

the "Zap"

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

The "Pariah"

I cant think of any tweaks for the Zip, I mean its pretty well thought out for what it is. I would think you would need to basically make a whole new pack if you need something different. I still would like to see what you could come up with if you made a serious bushwhack pack but used your experience and creativity to get it lighter than anything else out there.

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

I would go for "Dreamliner" … heavenly cruising on longer trips. "Ark" seems a bit too short and agressive to me.
    S.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Maybe call it the "Newton" b/c users will be pushing the laws of gravity with it.

As for changes, the only thing I find I would want differnt on my SuperZip would be more points to hold compressions strap's under the side pockets like you have on the front. Not sure how much weight if any it would save but making the entire pack compressible with one non-stretch bungee and the biners at the bottom would be much easier and probably lighter than using bungee's and the middle compression strap the way it is now.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

No new name comes to mind, even after quite a bit of thought. Having just received the Zip… maybe I ordered too soon ;) … I would only sugggest not going any heavier since the Super Zip is out there already. As you know, a main consideration when I chose the Zip over the Super Prophet was because of the mesh side bottle pockets, and I especially liked the latest configuration.

Dave T

@davet

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'm with Valentin on this one. You've got Revelation and Prophet, so you may as well continue with the theme. I'm sure you can find loads of suitable names in the OT — or even in Lord of the Rings!

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

I would go with the Exodus.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

i second exodus

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

As a happy Zip owner, i wouldn't change too much. I would like a roll-top closure though. Maybe make it all dyneema as long as it didn't increase the weight greatly.
    As for the name, how about The Message?

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

How about the MLD "Oracle"

from MW online:
    1 a: a person (as a priestess of ancient Greece) through whom a deity is believed to speak b: a shrine in which a deity reveals hidden knowledge or the divine purpose through such a person c: an answer or decision given by an oracle2 a: a person giving wise or authoritative decisions or opinions b: an authoritative or wise expression or answer

Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

Locale: Colorado now!!!

I just have to say that any pack named the ARK had better be GY-NORMOUS!!!!!!! and waterproof.

On another note: Ron, I love your stuff! Your Grace solo tarp has served me well!!!

Thanks!

Passionphish

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Matt, Ha Ha… funny stuff.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ron,

Love your products.

I 2nd the vote for staying on theme with the name scheme.

Exodus sounds cool and has my vote.

P.S. If you start your own UL Religion, maybe you can file for tax free status? :)

Robert C
    BPL Member

@beenay25

Exodus is an awesome name, but you might have to do a couple things to the pack to increase it's "cool factor" so it would live up to that name, such as only having the pack available in all black, with red trim, with chromed hardware. Like someone said, a pack called the ARK had better be ginormous and waterproof or it will be a little confusing to people why you named it that. Similarly, I initially thought the Zip was a panel loader, so maybe go easy on the misnomers unless in fact the new pack will be Ark-sized..

A waterproof UL pack would be pretty cool, though. I don't know if there's seam tape for silnylon, but it would be nice to be able to dispense with pack covers and liners..

For improvements to the Zip, you might give the option of built-in hipbelt pockets. I know you have accessory hip belt pockets available, but it seems like there's an extra layer of fabric with a system like that.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Welp, it is Passover, so I vote for Exodus too!

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

The Methuselah

The Nebuchadnezzar

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

How about "Been Laden" as in having been weighed down with a load. It would be a name that reflects the times (think Ben Lauden)we live in. Of course it could be you put the pack away in your gear closet and never find it again. Smile.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

How about the Genesis pack, since it sounds like a new beginning.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ron,

Whatever name you decide on (I vote for Exodus), don't go too crazy changing the Zip design. A little more capacity in the main bag would be appreciated – maybe as a bigger collar – and integrated hipbelt pockets like those on ULA packs would be a great addition, but the side pockets are perfect for us water bottle users, and the overall pack configuration is awesome.

Let us all know what you have planned and when it might be available – thanks.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

WOW

Awesome names and feed back! Many Thanks.

Seems like Exodus is in the lede and I really like that one.- I like Oracle too.

I must have been nuts the day I named it the Zip-thinking of being zippy or zipping down the trail…duhOh

I don't plan any big changes for the Zip, except the name. Mainly a few tweaks to some of hardware and /or lash loop positions and maybe a very minor size change to the rear pocket. It may grow 1oz but no more.

Keep the ideas rolling…

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Exodus: Movement of Jah people!

Sounds good to me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools