Topic

UPDATE: BPL Issue 9, Digital Edition, and More!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info UPDATE: BPL Issue 9, Digital Edition, and More!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

I was delighted to receive the e-mail and link. As soon as I can sort out the technical issues with the reader I'll be even happier (it insists on installing itself to the C drive, where I have very little space, and I can't seem to find a way to tell it not to… something for me to work on over the weekend) and settle down to read the content. PDF would have been preferable to me, but doubtless there are sound reasons for going with the chosen format even if it does entail yet another piece of software. Nonetheless, what I've seen so far looks pretty good.

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

Jon,
    For space planning on your hard drive, the Zinio viewer required about 56MB and the BPL magazine was just shy of 10MB.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I really, really, really did NOT need to read an article about poo digging while eating my dinner. I realize the target audience is men and that while I have an iron clad stomach….but did it NEED to be so graphic? The article could have been a bit clipped and still gotten the point home. It went into 'locker room' style and pretty much turned me off.

And "vaginal wipes"? How about calling them what the manufacturer calls them? "Feminine wipes". You want to find them, that is what you ask for. After all, there is more to a ladies bits than her "v".

But don't worry, I am sure I will survive. Just was NOT impressed at all with that article.

Iain Perkin

@scouteriain

I checked out the online reader and on my iMac 18" and it was wonderfully archaic. Lack of fine control (text too large or too small). I'll stick to paper as my BPL magazines reside at a place of honour beside my Backpacker mags (almost complete first 3 years). Too many proprietry file formats that have bit the dust for me.

Don't take me for an old fuddie. I normally print a hard copy and to pdf and save electronically anything important. Less important goes to pdf only (killing fewer trees).

Iain

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I felt the same way when I tried the online reader. Interestingly though, when I tried the offline reader it was much better. While the controls are the same it was much clearer at 100% meaning a could read a full page at a time.

I agree with above sentiments that PDF is a good format for online reading. It's nice having a search feature which zinio lacks. Still it was a good read and in my opinion better than printing and shipping the hard copies around.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

By accident I deleted my access to the entire issue, can I get it back (resent)? If not it was my own fault.

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

Nia,
    The Zinio reader does have a search feature, it's in the upper right hand corner. The Zinio search tool doesn't have as many features as the Adobe pdf reader but it works.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

>> Ryan, are ya'll hiking it over to the publisher and horse packing it back? What could possible take that it long to show up in our mailboxes?

Carl:

I am emailing an electronic copy to the printer and packing several pallets of magazines back.

My pack weight coming back is heavier, hence, I'm going slower.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Thanks BPL!

It was my time to re-up my online subscription earlier this month, so I bit the bullet and added the print version. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I got an email linking to an electronic version. I had no idea what a good time I had chosen make the move – full color, first electronic offering – excellent. I enjoyed the reader, right down to the digitized page turning. It really whetted my appetite for the hard copy.

I also enjoyed the new material and found it did a have a voice all its own, more narrative than much of what I've found on the website. Uber-endurance hikes with dog, super-duper light in Virginia, and extra-uncomfortable impacted bowels! Great read and great to hear that the wealth will be spread to the online users.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Great work on the electronic version Ryan! I downloaded the ZinioReader for U3 and was able to save, view, and transport the electronic magazine copy on my USB key. Works great!

Also really enjoying the content. I, for one, found Dave Swinehart's article to be very entertaining, colorful, and an appropriately unabridged version of 'epic' events. He and Mike Clelland! should coauthor something for you (although I am guessing they did from the pictures)!

Can't wait for the hard copy. Let me know if you need help wrangling that mule train! :P

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

On the third attempt the "custom installation" option appeared (instead of being greyed out) and I was able to save the reader to my E drive. Still not sure where it's saving the actual magazine issues to (despite uninstalling the program yesterday when I came to reinstall it and download the magazine I was told that issue nine was already in my library) which might cause space issues later, but things are moving forwards at least. The reader works well enough and I've been enjoying the articles (which display quite clearly on my computer.)

Bit of a surprise to see a magazine for 2008 with an ad for "GOLITE'S NEW 2007 PACKS" though ;)

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Ryan – Great issue and I definitely appreciate you making it available to the online members.
    Ron

G. Scott Morris

@gsmorris

Locale: Alabama

I'm a premium member and print subscriber, but no email link in my inbox yet.

Diana R
    BPL Member

@mysticmoose-2

Locale: Great Lakes region

This was my first time reading an issue of BPL Magazine, and I really enjoyed it. I subscribe to Backpacker Magazine also, and I'm less-than-impressed with their content. It seems to be less and less about backpacking and more about dayhiking, stories about criminals finding redemption, and maybe one article about actual backpacking. Don't even get me started on their gear "reviews". Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't consider canoes backpacking gear…

I'm still not crazy about bikepacking or packrafting, but I found all the artices interesting. And, as a bonus, the authors talk about gear. Using gear, gear lists, mini gear reviews, etc. I like it so far; keep up the good work!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

BPL,
    Diana's post reminded me – I recently stumbled upon some of the very first issues of Backpacker magazine from the early 70's, and what a different magazine it used to be! Huge, beautiful pictures, in-depth analytical articles, simple layout, a few ads. It was beautiful and reminded me of BPL magazine. I only hope that in your progression, you all don't follow their path of over-commercialization – I'll gladly pay $25 a year to read a publication that keeps the focus on backpacking rather than gear manufacturers. Gear has its place but only as a means of enjoying the outdoors; it's not an end in itself. I think that BPL has, so far, been tasteful in its ad placement and hope you continue your good judgement.

Forget light backpacking, in my opinion, BPL has become THE publication for serious outdoor enthusiasts. Keep the content strong and you will have a following.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Scott –

Scott and any others who have not seen an email from Zinio – please create a support issue so our customer support staff can make sure to help you get set up with digital access.

There are a handful of premium members who did not receive the email.

Don

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I finally had some time [and energy] to read the first online edition of BPL and to my surprise I find a quote from myself on page 7. If my wife didn't think I was obsessed enough, seeing my name in print is really going to think I went over the BPL edge. Nonetheless, very very cool. Thanks.

However, I'm compelled to state that my posting was a culmination of postings from other much more knowledgeable BPL'ers inspired by Andy's blog post. Either way, it made my night :-)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I enjoyed getting the digital magazine, it looks great and Zinio is easy to use.
    Problem is, I don't think I'll need the print version a month from now- I've already read much of what interests me and will probably be long done with it in early June. Had I known this would be available to premium members I don't think I'd have payed for the print subscription; why waste paper, money, and delivery costs? I could simply print any parts I'm interested in having and leave the rest in the digital world.

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!

Dial-Up now that is slow…on downloading the issue from Zinio it took 32 minutes
    Yes that is correct, some of us on the islands still do not have access to anything but 35 to 50 year old phone lines with 32bps …uggh

Thank so much, but I am looking forward to the Issue in Print!

Besides when you travel you can display your magazine for all to see…you know like strutting around in all the latest ultra light gear! :)

Correction… 32 minutes was just for the Zinio Reader to download and install
    The Issue 9 is still at 58 minutes and counting.
    I for one am really looking forward to the magazine in Print!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Gail,

As a thread tangent —

Considered satellite?

About $50/month, plus $400 for the dish and modem.

End of tangent —

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

If you did not receive the 'link' email, then go to zinio.com and click on the 'create a new account' link. Use the email account you specified in your BPL account settings.

Your mag will be there when you sign in.

Call 1-888-ZINIO-NOW if you need help setting up your zinio account.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

In my review, the quality and quantity of online content have taken a pleasant upturn in the last couple weeks. This week's articles are great! Keep up the good work!!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Aaah, Greg, unlimited dial-up here is $15 per month, no set-up costs. Satellite and broadband just can't compete for price, plus patience is a virtue. It took me a long time to download the reader and issue 9, but it was worth it! Our teenagers were NOT happy as it was almost an hour where they couldn't phone or instant message their friends…

Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

Just received the latest version of the print magazine, and while I liked the content I noticed one factual arror that should be corrected if possible. On the story related to the new "extended" Triple Crown, the listing for the record for the fastest unsupported PCT thru-hike was out of date. Joe Kisner (Tattoo Joe) broke the record in 2007 with a time of 79 days, 21 hours and 42 minutes.

He and Scott Williamson started from Campo just this past Sunday to try to break the record again this year.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

2.5 years ago Ryan wrote:
    > Yes, we are planning to release a digital version of the Packrafting Book. Assuming that goes well — all books in the future too, including the revised ed. of Lightweight Backpacking and Camping in the works.

So how much longer for the revised Lightweight Backpacking and Camping???

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools