Topic

Granite Gear Vapor Day Pack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Granite Gear Vapor Day Pack Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to:

Granite Gear Vapor Day Pack Review

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Hey Will, could you post a close up picture of the side pocket strap system, Ive been thinking of doing this to my regular vapor trail and I'd like to see how they actually do it.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I actually bought two of Granite Gear's hip pockets and two shoulder strap pockets which I transfer to all my packs as needed, even my fanny packs. I have now spoiled myself with them and can't live without the front pockets.

The shoulder strap pockets are really useful for holding a GPS unit making it both available to me but also making the satellite signal available to the GPS.

I must admit that the pocket transfer process constitutes a lot of threading straps through tight buckles and by the time you're done, you are ready to order a set of pockets for each and every pack in your inventory. (So far, I've been too cheap to do that).

I use a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack (3800 c.i.) as my winter pack and I can attest to it's extreme comfort no matter what the load! Note that the N. Ozone has a beefier suspension than the vapor suspension.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I beleave what Johnathan is referring to is the lower side compression straps that can be run inside the side pockets. Gregory has also done this on the Makalu Pro alpine pack. This allows the compression strap to be run inside the side pocket and not interfere with removal of water bottles or other items stored in the packs side pocket. The strap would be tight against the pack bag and a bottle would be in the pocket but over the strap. The strap can also be run outside the pocket if a user wishes to have the strap help secure an item stored in this location. I have not seen the Vapor first hand but from the pictures posted this looks to be the design intent. I know of other packs that allow for the lower compression strap to run either behind or over the side pocket in some manner.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Will

Interesting. Looks as though rain could pour in through both the top zips though??

Cheers

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

40 ounces is way too heavy for a daypack and dare I say, worthy of a review on BPL! I would expect this type of review from BP, but not from BPL.

I would much rather see reviews on the ULA AMP/Relay, Golite Ion, MLD [Super] Zip/Prophet, GG Murmur, Zpack Zilch, Oware Day pack.

Hopefully there's not a Osprey pack review in final edit.

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

I completely agree Frank!

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Hi Jonathan. Here's a photo of the side pocket with a compression strap routed over the pocket. The slits on the sides of the pocket allow the compression strap to be routed inside the pocket, not inside the pack, so things like water bottles hang up on the strap when inserting them.Close-up view of Granite Gear Vapor Day side pocket with compression strap going through the pocket

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hi Will,

Do you know if the hip belt on the Vapor Day is removable? It'd be great to be able to take it off when you don't want/need it.

Thanks,
    Dave

Eric Douglas

@1ekdouglas

Locale: Brooklyn

The belt is removable. It's the same belt that's on the Vapor Trail.

Eric

David Sperry

@davidsperry

Hi I was wondering if you could let me know what the dimensions of the Vapor day pack are when full? 2000 cubes is perfect for a 6month+ trip with clothing, laptop, etc as long as I dont bring camping equipment. Hopefully this bag is carry-on sized. You dont need to measure with the hip belt as its removable. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools