Topic

Nalgene for raccoon and rodent protection?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Nalgene for raccoon and rodent protection?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Raccoons are a real issue here. Will a Nalgene bottle help keep out a raccoon?

Thanks.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Maybe the dumb ones would be detered but the habitiated ones who share campsites with humans might be clever enough to chew the lid off (softer plastic) or even get it unscrewed. If my puppy has figured out how to unscrew a pop top without chewing up the bottle I'm sure a racoon could get a nalgene.

I've seen racoons do crazy complicated stuff to get to food. The other part is they might just chew the rope off and just carry it off. I've watched them carry off beer cans that were cooling in the river like that.

Hung properly you might have a chance or you can go the OP Sack route and hope the scent proof container is doing it's thing. Make sure you follow the recommended procedures to keep food scent off the outside of the bag.

One of the more interesting options has been the new options is the bags on: http://www.wilderness-solutions.com
    I haven't tested them but the thought is wonderfully amusing.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You might want to check out the Ratsack.

http://www.armoredoutdoorgear.com/ratsack.htm

About a week ago, I had posted a question about RatSack vs. the URSack.

My concern was that animals with sharp teeth might cut through the URSack.

Bonus is that the Ratsack is lighter, bigger, cheaper than the URSack.

(I do want to get an URSack, but I am holding out in the event that they get their approval back…maybe a redesign)

I opted for the 6 oz Ratsack for $30 and I think that it is almost twice the volume of the URSack.

Once I get some time using it, I will post up some sort of review.

Hope that this helps you.

-Tony

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Bear Vaults will stop raccoons – due to the lid. Same Lexan base though. Raccoons are horridly crafty critters! They would pop the lid on a Nalgene in no time….

Steve Sands

@nornicotine

If all you need to protect against are rodents, consider using 1 qt or 1 gal new, empty, paint cans. They are considerably lighter than bear canisters, and are impervious to chewing.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

if they are anything like the city critters I am dealing with then the answer is "NO"… the squirrels have chewed a hole the size of a baseball right through the hard plastic of my composter!! I've watched racoons do a bit of damage in the backcountry…. by far the worst was my experience with a deer mouse though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools