Topic

Snow Peak Titanium Trek bowl?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Snow Peak Titanium Trek bowl?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I am considering getting one to cook in. Does anyone have experience cooking in this?

I like the weight, dimensions, and price for solo. Lack of handle doesn't bother me. A lifter or a glove is fine.

Not sure of the lid solution.

Any thoughts?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I use a nearly identical bowl, with the same width and same volume. I do mostly in pot cooking and little freezer bag style meals Typically I use less than 1/2 the volume of the bowl with much room left at the top for vigorous stirring without fear of spilling.

For a lid I generally cover the pot with a sheet of aluminum foil, loosely. I poke a hole in the lid with my spoon for manipulating it on and off the bowl.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

One of the best buys in hiking cookware. Drill a couple small holes and hang a wire bail on it. A little tin foil for a lid and you have it made. It is big enough to cook a good meal in and you can stash a lot in it when packed. makes a nice bowl too :)

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"One of the best buys in hiking cookware."

It's THE best buy in Titanium Hiking Cookware

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

What are the dimensions on the snow peak bowl? My search turned up one site with a 5.5" diameter. What about the height?

As for a lid I use aluminum foil as the lid for the AGG 3-cup anodized aluminum since I'm cheap, but titanium foil is a slightly sturdier lightweight option. Much more expensive though.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Prolite tend to be a little anal about their measurements…

http://www.prolitegear.com/snow_peak_titanium_bowl_stw003t.html

If you have a Ziploc 3 Cup Bowl, it nests right around it pretty well…

Other than being less capacity (and therefore shorter) it's basically the same size.

PS – It'll work in a AGG 3-Cup Caldera set up. and I suspect a AGG 3-Cup Lid will fit (or you can just use foil)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I don't cook in mine but It's on every trip when I'm carrying the Snow Peak Giga Power stove.
    SnowPeak GigaPower with windscreen
    Snow Peak Titanium Bowl as wind screen for BPL Firelite SUL 1100 pot.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Dennis,

Every time I see your version, I wish I had left the rim on mine when I made a windscreen out of it. It simply doesn't save that much weight, and the rim winds up being a cleaner, snagless setup.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

With the rim in place the bowl isn't so likely to get bent out of shape.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

does water pour out of the snow peak bowl without dripping down the side?

edit: yes.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Denis, any chance of some more pics of your Snowpeak bowl/windshield.

I'm thinking of this for a Pocket Rocket, but don't want to stuff up my bowl.

Do you put it in place before or after attaching the cylinder? Do you need any additional ventilation holes?

Thanks, Rod

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I would be a little worried about not having enough air supply to the flames myself. This could give too much CO emission. Half a dozen 6 mm (1/4") holes around the base would be very welcome imho.

Cheers

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Rod,
    It's a little easier to install it after mounting the stove on the fuel canister. Rogers post regarding additional intake holes is a good one. Also I wonder at the narrow clearance at the base of the BPL SUL-1100 pot might be a tad narrow for adequate exhaust.

Roger,
    The distance between the pot and the Snow Peak bowl is nominally 3/16" to 1/4". It's likely a larger diameter "bowl" would be better. Perhaps if the flare on the bowl was less the heat would be carried higher on the pot and give better heat transfer to the pot.

I wondered about experimenting with a larger diameter, not-too-high-sided titanium pot to make a better wind screen. The cost of most suitable titanium pans is the only reason I don't try it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I'm sure you all know the SnowpPeak already has a windshield for its Giga stoves. It weighs about 2oz. made out of titanium. I sorry if I am missing the point.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jay, the Snow Peak windscreen is stainless steel and ineffective. It offers no protection from the sides. The bowl is also lighter.

Gregg White

@gewhite

Locale: WA State

Who makes that stand? For the canister.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I can not help but think that this setup must look a little like the Primus EtaPower. I am intrigued for possible use with the MYOG inverted canister project, but alas the bowl is a little small for accomodating a snow melting size pot. Perhaps the SUL-1100 is the answer?

jed chapman
    BPL Member

@jchaps

Locale: pacific northwest

Gregg,

That looks like the stabilizer from Jetboil. From what I understand Snowpeak and Jetboil fuel canisters are interchangeable.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

My experience with the Snow Peak windscreen has been positive, though not carefully tested. I also tend to use windbreaks with any stove. (These are discussed in the thread on silnylon windscreens).

You are right that the bowl is lighter by a fraction of an ounce. The bowl could also be cut down to the height of the SP windscreen if one is concerned with possible air/fuel issues.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The distance between the pot and the Snow Peak bowl is nominally 3/16" to 1/4".
    Well, that does give a fair cross-sectional area, but … This is something I found when testing the Caldera: all stoves need a large exhaust area to function well. The cold inlet gases may only need a small area, but the hot exhaust gases need a much bigger one.

Cost – yeah, a problem. I have some light and very cheap conventional aluminium windscreens …

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools