Topic

what can you cook in 600ml? 700ml?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what can you cook in 600ml? 700ml?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yep, look for them in the freezer bag section, both by Glad and Ziploc. They are not cheap though!!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Back in the BUL (Before Ultra Light) days I would use boil in the bag Brown Rice and make tea with the left over rice-gluten-laden water. Tasted like Cr@% but certainly did stick to one's ribs.

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've heard about the steam bags too but the Ziploc Zip'n Steam bags (size medium) don't have the gusseted bottoms. Can anyone confirm whether the Glad version does?

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

In Australia we have Glad small size which are 20x18cm, they have no gusset in them. There is a small steam vent on either side, just below the snap lock, so you would want to keep them upright. A note on them says "do not exceed 120 degrees celsius – should be fine for boiling water. I stand mine up in an orikaso bowl, so leaking is not an issue. They are quite a stiff film and don't sag as much as a normal snaplock, or aloksaks when boiling water is poured in them. I have tried another brand with gussets, they were almost like a double layer of plastic, but prefer these as there it is easier to get food out of. They weigh about the same as a normal snap lock bag, definitely less than an aloksak .Here is a link to the ones I use

http://www.glad.com.au/gladProducts/foodDetails.asp?pID=21

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

1) The glad ones appear to have gussets. I need to actually put my hands on some to confirm, though.

2) Yeah they're pricey, but not horrendously so. Looks like ~ $0.40 per bag…

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

In my TiGoat 550 pot I can cook 1.25cups of water, add 3/4 cup of orza pasta, and have just enough room to stir in olive oil and paramazan cheese. Really sticks to the ribs too. The orza pasta cooks in about 15 minutes if using a good cozy.

All cozys are not the same. I made my own out of 3/8" closed cell foam. Works MUCH better than the aluminized bubble wrap versions.

Steve

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

> All cozys are not the same. I made my own out of 3/8" closed cell foam. Works MUCH better than the aluminized bubble wrap versions. -Steve

I bet it lasts longer too! Did you use glue or tape?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yep, the Glad ones have a bottom gusset, I use the bags to steam veggies often!

And yes, not all cozies are equal ;-) I'd like to think I make the best ones..lol! (Ok, maybe not….)

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

Sarah,
    I'd be curious to know if you're able to re-use these bags several times?

I found these at my local supermarket today and they were on sale – buy 1 box of 10 bags for $3.99 and get 1 box for free.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Sounds like a plan for this weekend ;-) Heh! Testing "gear" is what life is all about, no?

Jon Christensen
    BPL Member

@jonnyc

Locale: Midwest

I used the steam bag a few weekends ago. I used it three times and it was fine. However when I was washing it out with water, I must have had to much water weight in it and the top of the bag ripped off. If I would not have done that I could have still used it. I was happy with how they worked.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

>> All cozys are not the same. I made my own out of 3/8" closed cell foam. Works MUCH better than the aluminized bubble wrap versions. -Steve

>I bet it lasts longer too! Did you use glue or tape?

Used 5 minute epoxy, the 2 part kind. Hold parts in place on wax paper for a while. The foam is similar to the GG foam, but with a slick surface. Instead of a lid that is an inset into the body, the lid wraps around the top rim. So the sides of the lid need to slide along the body, so super-grip GG foam will not work very well. I get my foam at an upholstry supply store.

Pics at http://www.pbase.com/geokite/cozy

Cheers
    Steve

William Brokob

@obiwan

600 ml is equal to 20.27 oz….so you can easily rehydrate a double MH meal

Yes, you will need to add some water back into the mug for your drink…but how big of a deal is that?

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Mountain House 2 serving bags are usually 2 cups (~500ml). Backpackers Pantry has some that are 2.5 cups. For these, I've just tossed a half cup of whatever is in the bottle, then add 2 cups boiling water. It has no adverse effect and it's easier than having to go back and boil a half cup. I'm liking it even more since preparing my own stuff before going out into the sticks. It's easier to cook for a 600ml when you plan for it. Oatmeal, granola, powdered soups, pasta, dehydrated meat/veggies. More ease in cooking outdoors and better for you to eat too!

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

"Hum … wait until you taste your tea in the Decor container after it has had onion soup in it … Sigh!"

Roger,
    You haven't lived until you've noticed a hint of tomato and herb in your Earl Grey. Surprise! Even the added bergamot won't hide it.

Chris

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger, You haven't lived until you've noticed a hint of tomato and herb in your Earl Grey. Surprise! Even the added bergamot won't hide it.

Been there … :-)

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools