Topic

New stove w/ pics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New stove w/ pics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Gerloff

@jgerloff

Locale: Midwest

Recently I made a new stove out of a travel size shaving cream canister. I designed it specifically for use with a narrow pot (keg pot). I got it to boil 2 cups of cold tap water in 16 minutes with a total burn time of 26 minutes on 1 once of fuel. It will also prime in about 30 seconds and does not require a priming pan. The heat is concentrated under the pot with almost no flame going up the side of the keg pot. In fact you can make a circle with your hands around the keg pot and they will not get burned. Also the keg pot sits directly on the stove so there is no pot stand to fuss with. Only drawback is the base of the stove is a little over an inch so it's not the most stable. Should be able to make it smaller so it will bring 2 cups of water to a boil on 0.60 once of fuel. Granted it is a little slow for boil times but when you're enjoying nature's TV time isn't really that important.

30 second primeflame patternflame patternflame patternfull boil

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Nice stove Jeremy. It's always fun to make your own gear successfully.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

looks tall for it's width. if you can make it shorter and still have room for 1oz fuel it will be more stable

Jeremy Gerloff

@jgerloff

Locale: Midwest

I drilled the jet holes so it would hold right at 1 oz of fuel. It's not a double wall stove so that's why I made it that tall.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I take it the material's fairly robust, eh?

Nice and simple, I like it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools