Topic

Summer Colorado yo-yo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Summer Colorado yo-yo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I'm going to be doing a solo yo-yo of sorts on the Colorado Trail this summer. I'll be starting out on the Denver end early morning on July 11th hiking 25-30 miles a day. When I reach Durango I'll turn around and head back north, this time following the Continental Divide Trail until I reach Rocky Mountain National Park on August 21, where I'll be picked up.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else will be doing either trail around this time.

EDIT: I will now be starting on July 14th.

Scott Carpenter

@sjeepboy

I am also considering doing the Colorado Trail this summer but at a much slower pace of about 10miles a day. I have backpacked around Colorado for the last 15 years. I do not know the level of your physical fitness but with a full pack 25 miles a day will be really difficult. Even with a light daypack of 20 pounds you will really have to push yourself to do that kind of mileage especially at 12-13000 feet. Best of luck and if I can offer you any assistance feel free to E-Mail me at [email protected]

Dave T

@davet

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Finally some replies! And I just found the "watch this thread" feature. Thanks for the responses. I've downgraded my mileage expectations to about 24 miles a day, which is realistic based on my pre-hike training (I've been building up to this summer for a few months already). One thing that I can't seem to find is a guidebook to the Colorado section of the Continental Divide Trail… Anyone have any info on that?

For resupply, I'm planning to do just 2 or 3 at the closest mail pick-ups along the way and stay in the backcountry as much as possible. I've found some good info on resupply points, but I don't know if they apply to the CDT as well.

Dave T

@davet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools