Topic

Light Summer sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light Summer sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

Hi.

(Sorry for the thread Winter sleeping bag, i made a mistake).

I use a Jardine's homebuilt quilt since a few years. Very light, a bit bulky and a bit warm for some weeks in summer. I am mainly a bike packer.

I'd like to get a summer mummy bag (over 15 Celsius). I'd like something smaller than my quilt when compressed, as light as possible and as cheap as possible.

I want to use it with my quilt to extend its comfort range in spring and fall. Light summer mummy bag + light quilt could be a nice setup for me. Don't forget, i travel by bike a lot more than by foot (We do day hike and week long bike trip) so we can live with stuff a tad heavier at worst.

What do you suggest?

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I do not recall ever seeing a mummy bag for over 15 C (60 F). There are a few 35 to 40+ F (2 to 4+ C) bags available that are light and small. Where do you travel that doesn't ever get below 15 C at night?

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Do you even need a full-on sleeping bag for temps above 60 degrees F? Try a lightweight sleeping bag liner instead. For a super cheap option, you could order a length of 100-weight fleece from Seattle Fabrics, cut it to size, and use it as a sheet. Otherwise, there are a number of bags out there that are rated to 45 and 50 degrees F.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

If I'm sleeping in jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a hat, I'm good for 60 F.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

60F? Wear your insulation layer and crawl into a bivy sack. Light and cheap.
    If you want a 'real' bag you could use in a pinch for 50'F, consider the Montbell alpine down hugger thermal sheet at 430 grams, or a #7 at 502 grams.

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

I want to use it this lightweight bag some nights of july-august at see level in Quebec (camping) and for hostelling.

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

The liner option is interesting. I was sure it is only usable for hostelling and protecting inside of bags.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Guy,

This reminds me that I have a light wt fleece sleeping bag liner that was almost but quite warm enough for 8-10C along the MN Ontario border that I'd be willing to sell at a low price.

It is similar to but not identical to the one at http://www.rei.com/product/739503

Let me know if you are interested and I'll get more specifics (weight, volume, features)

Edit:

Maybe the lightest and definitely the most compressible would be a thin down quilt. But it might have to be MYOG and down is not so cost/weight effective in thin things.

Next might be a PL1 quilt. Thru-hiker sells 1.8 oz PL1 pre-quilted with scrim on both sides. I don't know if that'd be usable without shell material, you could ask Ayce. If not, Momentum shell would not add much volume or wt.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

In the summer I been using a Montbell SS Downhugger #7. A 50F (10C) bag that weighs only 17oz. (482g). With it's full zip it works for me from around 40F to however warm it gets when unzipped. Worked great all the way on the Long Trail last year. It packs incredibly small.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I just recently purchased a MontBell UL Thermal Sheet for just this purpose. I wanted something to use in summer under 1 lb that could pair with my Marmot Hydrogen to turn it into a winter bag.

The thermal sheet weighs just 14.5 oz and zips all the weigh open to form a blanket. I'm planning on dropping my UL Down Inner this summer and just wrap up in the blanket at night while I cook dinner if I get cold. It packs down insanely small but I would not recommend using Montbells stuff suck (just too small).

The price is nice at $180, but shop around and you should be able to get it for less…I think I paid 150 including shipping.

MontBell Thermal Sheet

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

What about this ( http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442507321&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302865705&bmLocale=en&bmUID=1207874136856 ) sold by Mec (It seem more of an overbag)?

Do you think a liner like this (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442420055&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701579&bmUID=1207874716192 ) could work (on warm night)?

Small when stuffed would be as important as light for me.

At first, i was thinking of a mummy bag with only very light loft.

By the way, thanks for you help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools