Topic

APRIL 17, 2008: Great Western Loop Event in Bozeman MT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info APRIL 17, 2008: Great Western Loop Event in Bozeman MT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Skurka's Great Western Loop...

BACKPACKING LIGHT MAGAZINE invites our community to the Emerson for a special evening as we host Andrew Skurka's Great Western Loop, a presentation of his 6,875 mile walk through America's Western Wilderness in 2007.

Where:Emerson Cultural Center
    When:Thursday April 17, 2008
    When:7:00 p.m.

For more Inquiries contact:
    [email protected]
    or call 888-362-0999

TRAIL CLINIC:

Join Andrew Skurka and Ryan Jordan for an on-the-trail hiking clinic.
    April 18, 2008 in Hyalite Canyon

Learn about lightweight backpacking gear, techniques, and philosophy. From trekking poles, footwear, and clothing to ultralight cooking and camping systems, Andrew and Ryan will entertain, inform, and educate you about the latest trends in the lightweight backpacking movement. Free coffee provided by ROCKFORD COFFEE. Call 888-362-0999 to reserve your space.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

This looks great! I hope there is a good turnout for you there from the Bozeman set!

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

Went up to Flagstaff last night to catch the presentation, an excellent slideshow

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

Didn't know about that. I woulda been there. :-(

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

He'll be at the Grand Canyon tomorrow night giving the same presentation

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Cool. I can probably make the Tucson one on Saturday.

Andrew King

@drewboy

Where can I find out details of the Tucson presentation? It just happens that I will be in Tucson this weekend. I'd love to catch this. Thanks.

Harald Loeffel

@hikingharry

Locale: Tyrol - Austria

Infos are at the website of Andrew Skurka (->andrewskurka.com)

Tucson, AZ | Sat, April 12, 9:30am | Summit Hut

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I plan to catch Skurka's presentation in Boise on April 30. Thanks for the link!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Backpacking Light hosted Andrew Skurka's Great Western Loop at Bozeman's Emerson Theater on Thursday, an event that drew more than 200 people from the Montana outdoor community!

Andy and I had a great time, with a good turnout as well, at the Trail Clinic on Friday morning, too.

Bill Stadwiser will post some photos here later this afternoon :)

Ryan

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Bozeman-based folk artist Chris Cunningham performs his music for the crowd before Andrew speaks.

Bozeman-based folk artist Chris Cunningham performs Backpacking Light's "Look for Me in the Mountains" for the crowd before Andrew speaks.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Ryan Jordan and Andy Skurka take a moment to pose together prior to the presentation

Ryan Jordan and Andy Skurka take a moment to pose prior to the presentation.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Ryan greets the crowd of over 200 and introduces Andrew.

Ryan greets the crowd of over 200 as he introduces Andrew.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

200+ people gather at the Emmerson Arts Center in downtown Bozeman, MT to see Andrew Skurka.

200+ people gather at the Emerson Arts Center in downtown Bozeman, MT to see Andrew Skurka. See the guy looking towards the camera in the foreground? That's Big Al, Chris Cunningham's dad.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

The morning following his presentation, Andrew Skurka and Ryan Jordan teach a free course

The morning following the presentation, Andrew Skurka and Ryan Jordan teach a free course on lightweight gear. Here, Andrew shows the crowd different shelter systems.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Andrew explains that shelters need not be complicated in order to keep you dry.

Andrew explains that shelters need not be complicated in order to keep you dry.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Andrew shows off the Golite backpack he used on the Great Western Loop while ... take notes.

Andrew shows off a lightweight backpack while those attending take notes on his suggestions.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Ryan Jordan emphasizes how useful trekking poles are to the lightweight backpacker.

Ryan Jordan emphasizes how useful trekking poles are to the lightweight backpacker. Here he shows off BPL's brand new STIX trekking poles, each weighing about 4.0 oz.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Here, Andrew answers individual questions about the Great Western Loop

Here, Andrew answers specific questions about the Great Western Loop and gives advice based on his own gear systems.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

Ryan Jordan explains the basics of alcohol stoves and takes time to answer questions.

Ryan Jordan explains the basics of alcohol stoves and takes time to answer questions.

William Stadwiser

@bstadwiser

While explaining the joys of packrafting, Ryan pokes fun at the photographer for missing a shot

While explaining the joys of packrafting, Ryan pokes fun at the photographer for missing a shot of him with a drysack over his head.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Great shots of Andy, Ryan and all the attendees at the BPL event. It's wonderful to hear there was such a turnout in Bozeman.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools