Topic

Podcast: Making Unconventional Choices for a Better Life

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Podcast: Making Unconventional Choices for a Better Life

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Hrm… how does he connect to the internet to update his webpage?

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

He rides his bike or horse and wagon to the library.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Great podcast. The ad took a bit away from it though.

Adam Killian

@bonius

Locale: Appalachia

Nice interview, but I have to agree about the ad.

It's very intrusive, especially since this is members-only content. I've already payed for the content once, and now I've got to sit through advertising, too?

Update: It looks like this is no longer member-only content, so I guess the advertising is somewhat justified.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

GET BACK ON TRACK.

First we get Green Waste, then Affluenza, and now this photography fluff……..and we have to listen to advertising at both the beginning and end of the podcast?

I must agree with Adam – this is NOT what I paid for. I dropped my print subscription when it became painfully obvious that it was impossible to keep on a quarterly (or any regular) schedule. If this new trend at BPL continues, I'll have to think long and hard about renewing my Premium Membership.

If the need for revenue is so important, up the subscription prices and stay true to your mission.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Read Carol's text and visited John Coffer's website. I will listen to the audio later.

I'm impressed with John Coffer. Although he lives the unconventional lifestyle he desires, John works hard the way Americans did in a time past. I'm sure he doesn't need a membership at the gym.

I also liked his entrepreneurship. John offers a unique service (special photo classes) and receives a nice reward based on the class prices. He figured out how to live the way he wants by creating a business model that works for him.

Two other things I liked about John:
    1) If you want to contact him, then write him a letter. No email. No phone. No PDA. What a refreshing thought!

2) His beasts of burden (oxen) get to chill after they get too old. He thinks of them as pets. People that are good to their animals are the best people.

Sure the feature is not about gear, but I enjoyed it and I have not even heard it yet – so go figure : )

EDIT: After listening. He did mention that he did not have to belong to a gym as I thought. I like his quote: "If you're good at being weird, be weird and do it well." That I do proudly relate to. One last thing, I must decline the offer to twice spend the night with Big Agnes because I am faithfully married, but I'm sure she's quite charming. : )

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Well, I'm glad y'all chose to not keep this a members only podcast as it was earlier this morning.

While this sort of living is definitely rustic, simple it is not? I admire the truely minimalistic approach of full-time RVer's/Vandwellers who live in very small spaces allowed by the use of modern technology. Some started that lifestyle due to necessity, but many do chose to live this way. Check out cheaprvliving.com.

Our current-day ultralight backpacking definitely relys on more modern fabrics to keep weight down and maintain a satisfactory safety margin.

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

I stumbled upon this website a bit ago quite by chance. It was the name which attracted my interest. "Backpacking Light". Backpacking=journey,[path]. Light=less encumbered,[simplicity]. Is this not the place where one who is seeking the simple path comes to? If it is not, I am here in error and will continue my journey elsewhere. If indeed it is, please, I implore all of you who seek, keep your minds open to all that you do not yet comprehend. I tell you truely, only rewards will befall you if you make this your practice always.

I say to you, "It Is Life Itself That Is The Journey", is it not so? The more open your mind, the more wonderous your Journey.

Peter

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I agree whole heartily with Bob. Get back on track. And how about updating those first core principal articles. Lots of work to be done. Best get cracking or…

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Light-weight backpacking has taught me a LOT of life lessons. One of 'em is I do fine without too much extraneous stuff. This is something that I really believe in, way beyond my time camping.

I have found that the less I have, the happier I am.

That's sorta lofty, and it's hard to live up to those words. I could do a lot better. I mean, I have more than one expensive titanium spoon. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

It was really interesting to listen to a podcast about a guy living his truth, I enjoyed it. Strangely, it had a similar tone to Andy Skurkas last podcast. A person out there on the edge, beyond what most of us would ever consider, and being thoughtful and content about it. I need that reminder in my life.

peace,
    M!

Ben Cameron
    BPL Member

@blackwood

I'll add my voice to the chorus of opposition to audio ad's. Trying to have your cake and eat it too with 2 online business models comes across as rather greedy. Not good if you want to maintain a strong community. Even if you continue with ad's, and i'm not suggesting you should at all, then reduce words to no more than say 10 rather than the over long blah blah blah. Also, the ads levels are too high, its irritatingly loud.

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Content

I understand the arguments that this is off topic. Strictly speaking, this is true. However, startling individuality, a desire to live closer to nature, and the strength to set out alone on a journey whose goals and rewards are under- or completely unappreciated by the mainstream are ideas at the core of my interest in this community. I was inspired by this content and thank you for it.

Ads

Again, I understand the arguments against the ads. Before passing any judgement, I'd like to hear BPL's reasoning.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I listened to some of the podcast and then skipped through a bit towards then end. Was then only advertising there at the beginning and at the end (for Big Agnes)? Or was there some in the middle?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sorry nothing to do with the rest of the thread but I liked this comment from George :

"People that are good to their animals are the best people."
    I would like to add that they are usually (always ?) at least contented people if not happy. And I don't mean the people that let dogs lick their faces and give them a purple rinse…
    Franco

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

While I can see the value of a certain percentage of stuff that is far from BPL's core being mentioned some of these articles I'm a bit concerned that this is what is getting prioritized.

I can think of dozens of core gear reviews, articles, BPL Print or Online features that we've been told are forthcoming and should be released any moment. Most of us realize you have limited resources but many of us are concerned about the trade offs.

Really though, was using your limited staff's time and your money on this more important than things like making gear reviews that we've been promised are forthcoming for years, web features that would really, really add value to the site or even just a steady release date for the printed magazine.

I see the value in some of the "life lessons" & off-topic type of stuff but the ratio's been pretty high lately. If this was a user submitted article that wasn't paid for then sure, by all means, but I'm not sure I'd take this feature over some of the more core stuff we've been asking for.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I used to be one of the ones who complained about the tangent articles here at BPL (but mostly I was concerned about the lack of forthcoming articles). Recently, however, I've begun to think that the BPL staff, and especially Ryan, is making the right step in including articles that may seem to step away from the whole UL discussion. The reason I say this is that quite a few members have now been here a long time (I've been here since its inception in 2001). Many of the articles and questions that newcomers ask are beginning to get repeated over and over and there has be something new for the long-term members to read, also. In addition, there is a real community here now, people who come to this site sometimes just to interact with others whom they've come to get to know, some of whom are now friends in real life (there are a few people here whom I've befriended). I think the BPL staff recognizes this and is actively trying to support it.

I am very happy with the direction that BPL has been going lately; it seems much more balanced, offering articles about UL gear and techniques, but also offering alternative stories for those who want ideas that branch off from UL and those who want to follow up on how the UL movement has influenced their lives over the long term.

I found the podcast here to be very interesting and a good template to base my own development with the whole going light philosophy, especially since going UL I have taken it into my everyday life and am seeking ways of incorporating it into my lifestyle. It may even be a very opportune development for all of us in our need for learning if as the news seems to be suggesting, our whole economy and world habitat goes into convulsions in the near future. If it is true, we're going to have to re-learn how to live simply anyway. Might as well learn it gently and with preparation.

David Wills

@willspower3

Being a marketing major, i realize truly how perverse ads can be, and quite frankly am disgusted by the people that find new ways to throw their products at me. I give 3 cheers to BPL for finding another! I wonder how long it will be until we all become immune (numb?) to ads everywhere…

The content was very nice otherwise, but looking at the pictures, this guy has a lot of stuff and stuff to do. I grew up on a horse stable, and if not managed exquisitely, these things cost way more trouble and money than they are worth. I like the title "a farmers work is never done" under one of the pics, because there is always something in need of repair. I would much prefer to put my time into pursuits other than repairing a barn and feeding mules and to not have the benefit of what horses and cows can do. I guess I would personally want a more "walden" type lifestyle (aka- lazy) if I was going to live in the woods. Its all personal preference though, and I'm really glad he is enjoying himself and setting a good example for others.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>>> Being a marketing major

C'mon D,

The 5 P's my man! It's not evil. It's the way things work here on our glistening, blue planet. Here's some major advice for you and any other students: (1) Life ain't fair (2) Work will *not* be fun (3) it is all one big bizarre bazaar – so you better get used to it (4) be for free people and free markets (5) obey your parents – they are always right, and (6) never believe forum advice : )

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the feedback about the advertising a LOT.

First, this is new territory for us, and our SOLE purpose with podcast advertising is singular: to help us pay for some of the bandwidth charges. SOME is the key word. Podcast production costs and bandwidth costs are increasing significantly. And I really, really, want to continue to make all of our podcasts free to anyone and not exclusive to members.

Second, after reflecting on your comments, and thinking about this some more, I have to agree that I think the podcast advertising in both the podcast itself, and on the web page featuring the individual podcast, is too intrusive. As such, we're listening, and there WILL be a change made before the next podcast is released in two weeks.

As always, thanks for voicing your opinion. I hope you know how valuable it is for actually helping us make decisions as a staff.

Best Regards,
    Ryan Jordan

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ryan and co.,
    Well thanks so much for listening to us and taking our recommendations under consideration. And thanks for a reply. I am looking forward to seeing where this all goes. It has been a great resource for me over the last seven years.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Ryan,

If bandwidth is a concern perhaps you should consider switching hosting companies? I'm not sure of the transfer here but I'd assume 10,000gb/mo would cover it?

Places like Lunarpages.com will handle up to 15,000 gb/mo (not a typo) on even their $6.95/mo accounts. I'm not affliated with them, but there are several hosting companies that do similar that I've had long term good experience with as a web developer. Dotster has terrible rates for medium sized sites in comparison but is good as a startup host.

Even if you were married to your current host you could host your media files elsewhere to relieve your bandwidth concerns.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Ryan,

Do what you need to do inorder to keep BPL up and running, including ads in podcasts if that's required. I know that one tenet of BPL was no advertising but I would much rather see you change to survive than stubbornly cling to the past.

Keep up the great work.

Casey

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Look at the big picture: all forms of life sustain themselves through advertising. Feathers, fins, chest beating, howls, chirps, etc. Without such ads there would be no adds.

One (fe)male's annoyance is another (fe)male's attraction.

My grandmother used to love laundry detergent commercials on TV. She'd immediately insist we try the product and see if it worked.

And now back to the show…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools